Scope on round receiver Savage

Rev Dr

Hello, I've done a search of this forum and found some useful comments, but am looking for more advice.

I have a new Savage 11FL with the round receiver front and rear .308. What have you all found to be good scope mounts/rings for these? The Savage site makes some recommendations, but I'm having trouble locating their suggestions for sale. Do not yet have the scope, am still researching. One piece bases are complicated because this is a left hand rifle. Midway USA has one-piece bases, but only Leupold LH and they're sold out.

Anyone used the Talley two piece bases with integral rings?

Any suggestions for mounting optics on this newish receiver shape?

Rev Dr

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can find, Weaver only makes "grand slam" bases for the Savage 11 with round rear receiver. Which is a system I'm not familiar with. From the pictures on Midway, they're not using the standard Weaver slot system.

I've read some comments suggesting that two of the old style front bases can be used to mount on the new round receivers. The old front base was rounded to fit the barrel and so fits the new round rear receivers. I don't know yet how reliable these comments are.

Anyone mounted a scope on these new style Savage receivers?

tINY

I've used the Talley Lightweight (integral base and ring) and I love them. They work well (I do lap them).

My round receiver Savage has the dual dovetail Burris signature rings - as they were the best I could get at the time. No issues at all - they're good too.

-tINY

Zippy06

Just put the Talley's on. 86 rounds. All good.
Nice fit. Comes with the wrench. Go to their web site.
I am very happy.:D

Rev Dr

As always, thanks for your input.

Arkie, I looked at those Burris rings. I've never used those turn in style rings, never heard problems with them either. They just don't look as strong to me. But I appreciate the direction.

Tiny and Zippy, I'm thinking of trying those Talley integral ring bases. Midway has em. They good and solid. Out of curiosity, how much lapping did they require?

Rev Dr

Thanks Arkie. Still might go with the Talley's. More I look at them, more I like the idea of eliminating the ring to mount connection.

arkie2

Rev

I always learn something when I go on these explorations because of someone's question. I have a Savage .270 with a 2 piece base. I have my scope all the way back as far as it will go and still have problems with eye relief. Now that I've found these Leupold left hand one piece mounts (I'm a lefty too) I think I'll give them a try.

Talleys are excellent. Good choice. Hope you can find what you want.

tINY

amount of lapping required depends as much on the receiver as anything else.

You need about 40% contact for a good interface.

-tINY