Scope on Handgun

roc1

I was thinking about putting a scope on my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag.I was wondering is the scope better or possibly a laser or a holosight? I will use it to hunt hogs mainly and also Sillouhette shooting.
Thanks for replies
roc1

Pappy John

I've mounted a scope on my 7.5" Redhawk, to use as a deer gun. While it has made the Ruger capable of always hitting the kill zone at 100 yards off of a rest, I've gotta be honest and say that it's tougher to shoot offhand now and there's no way would I try that long of a shot offhand. The increased weight is the issue. Especially since mine is Ruger's 'Hunter' issue that already has the grooves for mounting the scope rings cut into the barrel rib. This makes it a very weight-forward gun, so much so that I actually have to do extra prep work with dumbells in the fall, holding them at arms length in front, to be able to shoot it well offhand.

I tried a Millett dot scope on it a few years ago. Lighter and faster to aquire on target, but it couldn't take the abuse of full house .44 magnum pounding. I cracked it's glass. Keep that in mind when choosing any optics for your .44. I also trashed a Bushnell Trophy handgun scope from recoil (POI started wandering vertically) before going with my current Burris Posi-Lock scope. So far so good on this one.

mikejonestkd

If you are going to put a scope on it then look at Leupold, Burris, and Bushnell 3200 series, in that order. All are great but the edge goes to leupold for pistol scopes.

A red dot or holosight is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than a scope to get on target and it usually much lighter. The only down side is no magnification.

NCHornet

I agree with Mike above. I have a 629 8 3/8" barrel with a Leupold scope and it is a great match. Only a high quality scope like a Leupold will hand the 44 mag recoil, don't put a Tasco on this one!! I use mine for deer hunting, however with hogs you need to get on target really fast and that is where I would prefer the Holosight. I have one on a Mark IV Ruger 22 bull barell and it is awesome, but I don't know about it standing up to 44 mag recoil. maybe a seperate post regarding this would be helpful.

Ozzieman

Leupold,Leupold,Leupold,

I have had Leopold’s on both a Contender and a Ruger MarkII and liked them both.
If your shooting a hard kicking gun like the contender that I have, which I load for earth shattering loads you don’t want to waste your money on anything but a Leupold.
I also agree whit the weight issue, The contender is already a heavy gun that the scope made it much worse.
The Ruger was not quite so bad since it was more equally balanced with the scope.
Red dots are great, I have one on several guns but there all carbine type guns. One is a Beretta Storm carbine and it is so fast and accurate it surprised me. It also allows both eyes to remain open since there is no magnification.
I have also shot hogs and did it with a contender in 44 mag with the same 1.5 Leupold. If I go again I will remove it and put a red dot on the gun. Its quicker, both eyes open and the ranges you’re shooting you don’t really need magnification.
Again you need to find something that will hold up to the recoil of the gun so cheep will not be the best.
And from experience, stay away from the cheep Chinese CRAP that’s out there for red dots.
I don’t like lasers, for me to use a laser, would be the same as having some one tie the pig to the ground and walking up to within several feet and pulling the trigger.

mikejonestkd

As much as I like the leupold I would like to point out that burris and Bushnell 3200's are not junk by any means. My pet encore pistol in .308 win wears a bushnell 3200 2-6 power scope and it has withstood hundreds if not thousands of shots without a problem. A .44 mag's recoil is pale by comparision. It is by far the most punishing handgun I have ever shot and the scope has never failed me in many, many years.

You will be well served with any of the leupold, burris, or bushnell 3200 series pistol scopes.

Bama

I've moved a 2x Leupold from my SRH 9" .480 to my 15' 30-06 Encore, with no ill effects. I'm soon going to put a 2 x 7 Burris on the Encore, and relocate the Leupold to either my .480 or my .44, just ain't sure yet. I can say that my son bought a BSA and put it on his .480. It lasted about 10 shots.:rolleyes: Stay away from cheap!

jwphillips2

Ahmen on the Leupolds! Mounted a few others before "discovering" Gold Rings. I don't know if they still do it, but you used to be able to send in your scope for lifetime free repairs + shipping. I broke one in .45 Mag, but still shooting the original on .50 Action Express. The .45Mag scope has withstood 10,000+ rounds with about half being .45ACP.

oldman27

scopes

how are nikon monarchs? nikon usually puts out some good stuff, i have nikon and burris on my other rifles. i will be scoping a .44 superblackhawk hunter with a nikon monarch, hopefully it will stand up. i've read good reviews about them.

tex45acp

roc1,

There is some very sound advice given here. Leupold scopes are build like tanks, just like the Redhawk you are wanting to mount it on.
In my opinion, it's is the only way to go, my 7.5" Redhawk in 41 Remington Magnum with a 2X Leupold EER handgun scope:

RugerRedhawk41mag7Small.jpg

klcmschlesinger

What about Simmons?

I was at cabela's looking for a scope for my Super Redhawk in 44mag. They had the Burris with posi lock, the Leupolds, and I noticed a Simmons ProHunter handgun scope. Does anyone know how the Simmons holds up to 44 mag recoil over time?

22-rimfire

Roc1, you still out there? I noticed this thread started right at the end of 2006 and this is May (almost June). You ever make a decision on a scope?

For info, I have only one handgun scoped and it's a Ruger Super Redhawk 480 with a Leupold 2x EER scope. I don't have any experience with the Red dots. I have been shooting it for a couple years now. First thing you will notice is just how shakey you are with a handgun and didn't even know it. I experimented a bit and now carry a monopod with me hunting as there is no way I could make an off hand shot accurately out past 35-45 yds. The monopod works. If you try to make off hand shots (without a rest), do it quickly and don't dwell on looking at the target long. It is not like a rifle.

Have fun and hope you enjoy shooting the Redhawk.

roc1

Yes 22-Rimfire I am still here.I bought a Weaver off a guy that comes in my local gun store all the time like I do.He sold it to me for $20 it works great.I do notice how bad you move but it shoots great if you do your part.
Thanks again
roc1

roger1shot

4x20 Leupold

Hey
I went with the 4x20 Leupold on my Super Red Hawk 44Mag.
I'm planning to do most of my deer hunting from a stand and rest.
First hand gun with a scope.
Right at first the scope is hard to get a sight picture.
But with time it's not that bad,and the 4x sure helps old eyes.