Scope on a '03 Springfield

reinert

Dear forum folks,

I've got a buddy who has a Remington, 03 Springfield that was sporterized a long time ago, and was done quite nicely. It has a Redfield or Lyman aperature sight arrangement on it (quite nice, too), but my buddy was wondering about putting a scope on it. What would mounting a scope entail as far as mounts are concerned? Is the receiver easily machined to put a proper mount on it? What would the cost (ballpark) be when done by a qualified gunsmith? What mounts would you suggest? I asked my bud if it was an 03A3, and he thought that the serial number made it just an '03. The serial number is 3296937. Sure would appreciate some info, and so would my bud.

Thanks a bunch,

reinert

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I'm pretty sure that Weaver has bases which fit the curvature of the Springfields. Drill, tap and mount. Used to be a very common gunsmithing deal.

tahunua001

serial range means nothing.

if the original rear sight was a sleeve that fit over the barrel it was an 03. if the original rear sight was dovetailed into the receiver then it was an A3.

either way, it is about the same amount of work to drill and tap the receiver but you have to be certain which model it is because the A3 redfield mount has a dovetail cutout to fit the dovetail for the rear sight post but the 03 does not so if you have an 03 it will be angled down because the dovetail will stick up but if its the A3 mount on an 03 it will angle down because of the cut out for the dovetail will make it lopsided.

kraigwy

The serial number tells me its an 1903A3, meaning Redfield makes the Redfield JR base to fit.

Its slotted in the rear to fit where the original rear sight goes. You only need to drill two holes to get the base mounted. Its the same set up used on the M1903A4.

As mentioned the bolt handle needs to be bent to clear the scope.

Make sure you choose rings tall enough for the scope to clear, as you can see in this picture, a modern scope wont clear. They do make taller rings. This is my 'A4 but I have another scope & TALL rings that I can switch and clears without problem.

DSCN0110.JPG

vtech26

S&K makes a nice no drill scope mount. It attaches to the rear site mount. I ran through 30 rnds and holds zero.

reinert

Very, very cool photos; thanks for sending those on. The shot from the bolt to muzzle is very helpful indeed. Thanks for all the great responses, and if you haven't seen this video before, it's well worth your time to view it. God Bless our Veterans, and especially Ted Gundy. His story and his telling of it is priceless. And did I mention that he's STILL one helluva shot? And with a newly refurbished 03A4.

reinert

hhtp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93uuitmbW8c

Huffmanite

Sometimes the metal in receiver may pose a problem for drilling and tapping....metal might be on the hard side. Leastways, that's been my limited experience with having a 1903 D&T for a scope. Two local gunsmiths I can use (both have gunsmithed for a loooong time) dislike D&Ting a 1903.Matter of fact, at range today I was chatting with a fellow shooter and he mentioned his father having a 1903 Springfield D&T (don't know if it was a 1903 or 1903a03) ....gunsmith broke off a couple of taps doing the job for his father.

RC20

S&K makes a nice no drill scope mount. It attaches to the rear site mount. I ran through 30 rnds and holds zero.

It works pretty well, a bit high but also no further damage to a fine guns condition. Not sure its all that great but it can be shot in matches if the right sights are put back on it I believe.

I have one on a 1903 as well as 1917 and the SK mounts are solid.

Rimfire5

I have an SK mount on my 1903 and it required no drilling.
You do have to remove the rear sight but you can always replace that if you want to go back to iron sights.

My old eyes are so bad that I need a scope now so I have a 3x9x40mm mounted and it makes shooting the old 1903 fun.

RC20

I bought a 1903 from my step dad, it has the original scope drilling on the barrel forward of the barrel receiver interface.

It makes up with the original scope dimensions (location and spacing) for that 1903 of the 20s type.

I hope one day to get the parts to make it look like the one Screwball shows.

Screwball

It took a lot, but I'm very happy with it.

Gun was rebuilt by DGR, which I probably won't ever do again (good work, but not looking to deal with him again; I installed a new slider on the rear sight, to make it work 100%, yet I got the rifle back with the windage adjustment not working... would have appreciated to known so I could have had the opportunity to get the parts so it would be fixed prior to shipping back, especially considering I know it broke at DGR). Cost a lot of money, yet feel that it should have been handled very differently. Even inquiring about the rifle was a joke, saying short statements to allude that it is being worked on, and finally getting an email that payment is due before work can begin (if you haven't touch the rifle, be honest and tell me that).

The sight was supplied and installed by Iron Sight Inc. Leatherwood recommends them for installing their scope, and they did an awesome job. Rifle looks like it was refinished after the install. Cost about $1,000, but I feel it is worth it. I was going to sell the M1903 and go into a Garand, but would have lost too much money... so I did this to keep interest, then bought a Garand... going to be sending that (commercial Lithgow receiver with VAR barrel) to Shuff's. Just correspondence with him, who I've never gave a dollar to, and DGR is night and day. I'd recommend Shuff just for that.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
I am not sure what the OP's friend has in mind, but if he wants a hunting rifle, that target scope is not really appropriate.

In addition to bending or replacing the bolt handle, a low scope safety will be needed. One way to "kill two birds" is to replace the trigger with a commercial trigger that has a side safety built in.

Jim