Scope my CZ 452 .22 for me

robertsig

I just bought a CZ 452 American .22LR. I heard it was a good one and they were being discontinued, so I got it sight unseen. It looks really purty....haven't shot it yet.

Being somewhat of a rifle noob...no wait, more of a scope/optics noob, I don't know what to buy to put on it. Can anyone recommend a scope and mount appropriate for this rifle? I'm looking for something mid-range. I don't want a $69 scope, but nothing over $200 either. I'm equally willing to pay for a good mount/rings as well. The purpose is to shoot at paper or tin cans, but if I ever moved to a more rural location, I suppose varmints wouldn't be out of the question.

I've read a little about scopes or mounts "walking", whatever that means. Of course, I don't want that, so quality will trump price if necessary.

Thanks.

flashhole

1. Sightron SI Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 32mm Fine Crosshair Reticle Matte Product #: 147249Status: Available 4.5 stars(20) Reviews
$136.68
The S1 Rimfire Scope has its parallax set to 50 yards and features multi-coated objective and ocular lenses for superior light transmission and clarity of sight picture, finger adjustable windage and elevation knobs for precise adjustments and they are fully waterproof, shockproof and are nitrogen charged. Covered under Sightron's Lifetime Replacement Warranty, the S1 Rimfire Scope is built for a lifetime of performance.

Technical Information

Tube Diameter: 1"
Objective Bell Diameter: 38 mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 39mm

Adjustment Click Value: 1/4"
Eye Relief: 4.1-3.5 "
Exit Pupil Diameter: 10.6-3.5 mm

Field of View at 100 Yards:
• 31.8? @ 3x
• 10.3? @ 9x

Weight: 12.30 oz

2. Weaver Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 32mm Adjustable Objective Dual-X Reticle Matte
Product #: 771270Status: Available 4.6 stars(5) Reviews
$249.99
Weaver's Rimfire scopes are designed with the same sturdy 1-piece aluminum housing that keeps Weaver's larger scopes waterproof and fogproof. These scopes also have the same fully multi-coated, no glare lenses. With a 32mm objective lens, they deliver excellent low light performance.

Technical Information

Objective (front) Diameter: 44mm
Ocular (rear) Diameter: 38mm

Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 minute of angle
Eye Relief: 3.3" to 3.7"

• 37' @ 3x
• 13' @ 9x

Lens Coating: Multi-Coated

Length: 11.25"
Weight: 12 oz.

Notes:
• Shockproof, Waterproof, and Fogproof

3. Leupold FX-I Rimfire Rifle Scope 4x 28mm Fine Duplex Reticle Matte Product #: 611082Status: Available 5.0 stars(3) Reviews
$219.99
Fixed power scopes developed specifically for rimfire shooters. Scopes have parallax set at 60 yards which is perfect for rimfire shooting.

Scope Features:
• 1/4 MOA windage and elevation adjustments
• Multicoat 4 lens system
• Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof
• Leupold's Full Lifetime Guarantee

Technical Information

Objective Bell Diameter: 36 mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 36mm

Eye Relief: 4.5 "
Exit Pupil Diameter: 7 mm

• 25.5? @ 4x

Weight: 7.5 oz

4. Leupold VX-1 Rimfire Rifle Scope 2-7x 28mm Fine Duplex Reticle Gloss Product #: 679939Status: Available
$219.99
The redesigned Leupold VX-1 series is better than ever and the Rimfire line is no exception. Leupold has fine tuned the VX-1 by adding all the details that make a Leupold top in class. The new industrial body includes a streamlined eye piece that tapers down smoothly to the lock ring, all without sacrificing the classic Leupold style. Using the power selection ring is easier than ever with the added grip of the raised finger tab. Turrets are all finger adjustable and come with turret caps. Leupold has combined premium optical performance with environmental friendliness by using 100% lead free glass in all the VX-1 scopes. The lead free MultiCoat 4 lens system provides a premium sight picture and optimal light gathering ability. The classic Leupold rifle scope has been enhanced with a gold plated medallion that carries the Leupold symbol on the turret. The bottom of the turret also displays the product identification, and proudly displaying that your scope was American designed, machined and assembled. The VX-1 line comes with lens covers and is covered by Leupolds lifetime warranty. .

Technical Information

Tube Diameter: 1" Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA Adjustment Type: Click
Exposed Turrets: No Finger Adjustable Turrets: Yes Turrets Resettable to Zero: Yes
Zero Stop: No Turret Height: Low Fast Focus Eyepiece: Yes Lens Coating: Fully Multi Coated
Warranty: Lifetime Factory Warranty Rings Included: No Sunshade Included: No
Sunshade Length: N/A Lens Covers Included: Yes Power Variability: Variable Min power: 2x
Max power: 7x Reticle Construction: Wire Reticle: Fine Duplex Illuminated Reticle: No
Battery Type:N/A Holdover reticle: No Reticle Focal Plane Location: 2nd
Parallax Adjustment: Fixed Finish: Matte Water/Fogproof: Yes Shockproof: Yes
Objective Bell Diameter: 35.56 Ocular Bell Diameter: 35.56 Eye Relief: 3.8-3"
Max Internal Adjustment:
• Windage: 80
• Elevation: 80

Exit Pupil Diameter: N/A
Weight: 8.2 oz.

• 41.7' @ 2x
• 16.5' @ 7x

5. Burris Fullfield II Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Ballistic Plex Reticle Matte with 3-9x 40mm Rimfire Rifle Scope Matte Product #: 335157Status: Available 4.2 stars(4) Reviews
$199.99
Lightweight Burris Fullfield 2 Rifle Scopes have a short overall length which makes them easier to mount on today's popular short actions. Each rifle scope features 1-piece tube construction, reinforced quad-seal gas seals and Burris Hi-Lume Multi-coated lenses. The short eyepiece has a European-style quick focus integrated into the power ring. Waterproof, fogproof and shockproof. Covered by the Burris Forever Warranty.

Technical Information

Objective Bell Diameter: 46mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 39mm

Eye Relief: 3.1-3.8"
Exit Pupil Diameter: 12.9-4.7mm

• 33' @3x
• 13' @9x

Weight: 13oz

6. Vortex Diamondback Rimfire Rifle Scope 2-7x 35mm V-Plex Reticle Matte Product #: 955485Status: Available 5.0 stars(3) Reviews
$179.99
Vortex Diamondback Rifle Scopes feature solid, one-piece aircraft grade aluminum alloy construction which makes them very strong and more resistant to even the heaviest recoil. They are purged with Argon gas which eliminates internal fogging and retains its protective properties over a wide temperature range. Optics are fully multi-coated and transmit 91% of available light. The windage and elevation dials also pop-up for fast and easy adjustments. Protective lens covers are included.

Technical Information

Objective Bell Diameter: 43.5mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 43mm

Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 Minute of angle
Eye Relief: 3.5-3.7"
Exit Pupil Diameter:
• 5mm @ 7x
• 17.5mm @ 2x

• 19.3' @ 7x
• 64.3' @ 2x

Weight: 12.8 oz

7. Weaver Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope 4x 28mm Dual-X Reticle Matte Product #: 366052Status: Available 4.4 stars(10) Reviews
$129.99

Weaver's Rimfire scopes are designed with the same sturdy 1-piece aluminum housing that keeps Weaver's larger scopes waterproof and fogproof. These scopes also have the same fully multi-coated, no glare lenses. With a 28mm objective lens, they deliver excellent low light performance.

Technical Information

Objective Diameter: 35.5mm
Ocular Diameter: 35.5mm

Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 minute of angle
Eye Relief: 3.25"

Field of View at 100 Yards: 21.8'

Lens Coating: Multi-Coated

Length: 10.25"
Weight: 8.5 oz.

Notes:
• Set to be parallax free at 50 yards
• Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof
• Excellent in low light
• Ideal for a variety of shooting applications
• Also suitable for airguns

8. Nikon P-22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 2-7x 32mm 1/2 MOA Adjustments NikoPlex Reticle with Rapid Action Turrets Matte Product #: 353448Status: Available
$179.95
The Nikon P-22 rimfire scope is optimized for precision accuracy with the .22 long rifle cartridge and AR platforms. The advanced fully multi-coating system provides clear images and superior light gathering capabilities. The P22 features tactical style zero resettable turrets and a fixed 50 yard parallax setting. For the shooter that prefers to dial in known yardages rather than holding over, Nikon provides 2 sets of Rapid Action Turrets. These interchangeable turrets are calibrated to .22 LR standard velocity, and hyper velocity so you can simply dial and hold dead on with the Nikoplex reticle. The P22 is nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed for 100% waterproofing and fogproofing. The generous eye relief allows for consistent shooting and comfort at any magnification.

Technical Information

Tube Diameter: 1" Adjustment Click Value: 1/2 MOA Adjustment Type: Click Exposed Turrets: Yes
Finger Adjustable Turrets: Yes Turrets Resettable to Zero: Yes Zero Stop: No
Turret Height: High Fast Focus Eyepiece: Yes Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Warranty: Full Lifetime Rings Included: No Sunshade Included: No Sunshade Length: N/A
Lens Covers Included: No Power Variability: Variable Min power: 2x Max power: 7x
Reticle Construction: Glass Etched Reticle: NikoPlex Illuminated Reticle: No Battery Type: N/A
Holdover reticle: No Reticle Focal Plane Location: 2nd Parallax Adjustment: Fixed (50 yd)
Finish: Matte Water/Fogproof: Yes Shockproof: Yes Objective Bell Diameter: 42.3mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 44.0mm Eye Relief: 3.8"
Max Internal Adjustment:
• Windage: 80 MOA
• Elevation: 80 MOA

Exit Pupil Diameter: 16-4.6mm
Weight: 13.9 oz.

• 33.4' @ 2x
• 9.5' @ 7x

9. Weaver Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope 2.5-7x 28mm Dual-X Reticle Matte Product #: 734016Status: Available 5.0 stars(4) Reviews
$149.99
The Weaver Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope is designed to allow the user to get the most out of their rimfire rifle. Constructed in the same manner as a centerfire rifle scope, this scope features a one-piece aluminum body as well as fully multi-coated lenses that allow for lots of light transmission. If you need a small scope with lots of big features, then this may be the scope for you.

Technical Information

Objective (front) Diameter: 35mm
Ocular (rear) Diameter: 37mm

Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA
Eye Relief: 3.7"

• 41.3' @ 2.5x
• 15.7' @ 7x
Lens Coating: Fully multi-coated

Length: 11.5"
Weight: 9.75 ounces

Notes:
• Parallax set at 50 yards
• Airgun rated
• Limited lifetime factory warranty

flashhole

You will need rings that fit the dovetail on your 452 receiver. I believe they are 11mm. Make sure which ever ones you buy are for the CZ. Millet makes a nice set that are windage adjustable. CZ makes a nice set of rings too. I had a CZ once whose receiver scope mount was slightly out of alignment front to back. The Millet rings did the trick.

flashhole

I'm going through a similar exercise myself ... if I can ever decide on the gun I want to buy.

Just be aware rimfire scopes have a shorter parallax setting (50 yards) than conventional centerfire scopes (100 yards). A centerfire scope may not focus at close distances.

jmr40

You will need rings that fit the dovetail on your 452 receiver. I believe they are 11mm.

One advantage of the American is that it uses standard 3/8" dovetails just like any USA made gun. I think this is the only CZ that does not use 11 mm. One disadvantage of CZ's is that they are a little harder to mount scopes on. I'm currently running a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 on mine in medium rings. I've tried several others and had problems with the bolt handle hitting the scope. I might need to go to high rings to get something else to work, but so far I'm pleased with the scope on there.

phil mcwilliam

I topped my CZ452 lux with a variable Leupold VX-1 in 2-7x33. This works well for me as a hunting rig. Set the scope on 2x for close in work or for running rabbits, & dial it up to 7x for rested head shots up to 100 yards.
Most previous .22's I've owned have had fixed 4x scopes, which is always a good cheaper choice.

robertsig

What kind of rings do I need? High, extra high? Unfortunately, I know little about this stuff, so I could use some recommendations. I've read about the bolt hitting the rings if they aren't high enough, but then, higher than you need is not good either right?

johnbt

Ha, only the pic of my 452 American is the one with a Weaver T-36 mounted. It's a .22 WMR and I was fooling around at the range. These are the regular height BLK rings, not the high. They work well with other scopes too, all the way down to a 2x-7 Weaver and Leupold 3x-9 EFR.

08170022.jpg

You'll get more bolt knob clearance with higher rings, but I find high rings to be too high, even with my size 8 head, etc.

JT

robertsig

Thanks...one other question.

What is the difference (or reason) for using separate rings vs a dovetail mount? And what is compensated?

johnbt

Some people think using a one-piece scope mount makes the action stiffer. Or maybe they think it lines up better. I know one thing, the 2-piece set up usually costs less and it doesn't block the ejection.

On a rimfire almost anything will work.

riomedinamike

Flashole covered the bases for you.

My preferences are for a lower priced scope to go with the Nikon. If you have a CZ, get the more expensive Leupold - in two weeks you will forget the price difference.