scope mounts

hunter33

Never really thought scope mounts where a big deal?Are they is their good mounts like theirs is good scopes.Maybe somebody can explain some things to me about them?

mc223

What type scope are you mounting? And on what will you mount the scope? And what will you be using the firearm with said mounted scope for?

hunter33

o i wasn't asking what mounts i should get just wanted to no about them but i have a 280 and a 22-250 deer elk bear pronghorn coyotes

mc223

Well, I guess Weaver would be as good as any for general use and fair pricing. There are some very strong rings that mount to weak bases and vise-versa.
Burris and Leupold make good mounting systems as do Kelbey and others. Kinda depends on what you want to spend and how rugged you need the mounts to be. Another consideration would be the actual mounting accuracy. You would not want a mount and rings that use all of your windage adjustment because they do not line up well with your barrel because of shoddy manufacturing. Paying more does not garantee perfect alignment, although it would be less likely as opposed to a bargain basement mount set.

hunter33

Ok i look at the different weaver mounts and their is alot of different ones whats the difference and what might you recommend?

*Detachable Top Mount
* Tip Off Bases
* Detachable Top Mount Rings
* Tip Off Rings
* See Thru Rings
* Sure Grip Rings

garryc

Basically you have two main types. One would be the claw type as seen in a Weaver mount or Leupold QD mounts. There is no windage adjustment in that mount. The second would be the dovetail mount. The can be had in a front dovetail only with windage adjustment in the rear or as a dual dovetail.

Generally I use the single dovetail mount on my HB rifles. That allows me to set my scope to Mechanical Zero and adjust the base for windage bore alingment. I have a small padded wrench I use to turn the forward ring to bring it to center with the bore sighter. It's usually very close. I use them on those rifles because they don't kick hard and I've seen heavy kicking rifles shake the windage screws loose. By the way, I prefer leupold bases because of the Torx head screws.

On my deer rifles I use a Leupold QD mount. Thats because I carry a spare scope for each rifle. I simply take the old one off and put the replacement on, I check it with the bore sighter for it's recorded setting.

The straight weaver mount is only used on 22,s and my shotgun.

*Detachable Top Mount Like the leupold QD, made fro quick scope change
* Detachable Top Mount Rings same as above
* Tip Off Rings Weaver claw, the screw and clamp is loosened and the scope is tipped off
* See Thru Rings A high mount ring with a hole through the base, causes lots of cheek weld problems, useless IMHO
* Sure Grip Rings =A system that helps prevent scope slipage, a problem best handled by proper manufature of the rings. I consider it a bandaid for sloppy manufature
* Tip Off Bases The base for tip off rings.
Hope that helps

tINY

I'm a huge fan on the Talley "lightweight" mounts. The Ring and base are integrated. This leaves one less point to come loose.

For removable ones, the Weaver or Picatinny rail is the most popular. ARMS makes some nice QD rings for them.

-tINY

TCman

I use the leaupold dual dovetail on my remington 700 and my TC .50. They cost about 50 dollars, but I can say thay have held the scope on tagget just fine.