Scope Mounts & Rings (Suggestions Wanted)

LIProgun

Looking for some informed thoughts on scope mounts and rings for a Remington 700 (standard length action). Intended use is occasional hunting and informal target shooting. Scope most likely to be mounted is a 3x9 40mm.

Mounts: One piece or two piece? Any preferred make or model? Style (Weaver, universal, etc.)

Rings: Any feedback on the "premium" systems like Conetrol, Burris Signature (Pos-Align inserts), Leupold, etc.? I'm assuming standard height because I'm not looking at anything with an objective lens of over 50mm.

Note: I'm not looking for "quick detachable" rings.

Please tell me *why* you prefer, or don't like, particular items.

TIA.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've mostly used Weaver two-piece because they're cheap. They work just as well--for 50 years, now--as the very-pretty, 30-year-old Conetrols on one of my pet rifles. :)

I went with Weaver mounts/rings on my 700 Titanium because of the light weight.

$0.02, Art

saands

I know you don't want QD rings ... but I have a theory: I think that one of the most likely causes of scopes ever needing to be "sighted-in" (after the first time) is abuse during transport with the scope attached. If you think about it, you have this huge lever-arm acting on these wimpy mounts and the scopes and rifles are both big. I never transport my rifle with the scope mounted. I sighted in my BLR81 about 12 years ago and it is STILL holding within an inch of its original zero at 100yds ... I have cheapo weaver bases with cheapo weaver rings that have knurled knobs for removal. Each time I un-mount and re-mount the scope the POI shifts by up to an inch or so, but it alsways ends up within an inch of that first sightin as I adjusted the scope based on several mounting cycles (on-3 shots-off-on-3 shots-off-on-3 shots-off-on-3 shots-off-on-3 shots ... adjust the scope based on the aggregate pattern) ... I now ONLY use QD's on my scopes. I just ordered a pair of Leupold QDW rings (quick detach weaver) but I have not yet received them so I can't comment on the performance.

Just a thought to stir things up a bit ;)

Saands