Scope mounts for a Saiga 7.62x39?

RedneckFur

I've got a red dot that I would like to put on my converted Saiga 7.62x39. I've seen several different mounts that are for AK's that attach to the base the side of the reciver and wrap over the top of the rifle, but I dont know which is best. I've heard both positive and negative reviews of several of them.

Those of you who have scoped Saiga's or Ak's, which scope mount do you prefer?

hoytinak

I've tried lots of different mounts with different scopes/red dots on my other AK's and never really like them too much, till I got the Ultimak scout mount with a red dot. I have gotten rid of all my AKs over time but just picked up a Saiga I converted last week. I saved some money this time and just ordered the Ultimak from the start. Just gotta find a good used EOTech for it now.

DnPRK

The problem with most side mounts is they sit too high for proper cheek weld. Look for mounts listed as "low profile" such as low profile mount for Saiga/AK

Here is another but it has the lower end attachment for SKS or SVD, not a Saiga/AK. low profile SKS or SVD mount Note that the SKS/SVD attachment will not work for a Saiga/AK. I use this version of mount (but with the Saiga/AK bottom end attachment) with an Aimpoint red dot. Here is the proper bottom end for a Saiga/AK Saiga/AK bottom attachment

AK103K

The Ultimak is the way you want to go.

With an Aimpoint on a low Aimpoint ring, you can still cowitness your iron sights too.

It really is the handiest, most effective set up going.

early Krebs AK103K Saiga conversion
ry%3D400

RedneckFur

Thanks for the info so far. the ultimak is intresting, but i'll have to change my gas tube and handguards for that. I may end up going that way.

I also like the idea of a low profile mount as well. I'm going to look more into those too.

hoytinak

but i'll have to change my gas tube and handguards for that

From what I been told it'll fit, you just have to cut the handquard a little the Ultimak will fit, I'll have my Ultimak this coming week sometime and I'll do a little writeup with pics if you want.

RedneckFur

From what I been told it'll fit, you just have to cut the handquard a little the Ultimak will fit, I'll have my Ultimak this coming week sometime and I'll do a little writeup with pics if you want.

That would be very helpful to me! Thank you very much for doing this. I'm sure it will help alot of others too. I've got my red dot, and its ready to go. I'm really intrested to see how it all works out.

I've got a dremel tool, so I can cut my handguard as needed.

kymasabe

Belarus BP-02

Personally, I don't like red-dots or scopes mounted in the "scout" position above or in front of the rear sight. I don't like the balance of the rifle or the look of it.

As far as I'm concerned, the best scope mount for a Saiga is the Belarus BP-02. I just ordered one off eBay from a seller who listed his location as the Russian Federation. When the mount arrived, it had been shipped from Belarus, Minsk. It took a little over two weeks to get but it's the real deal. I've used them before and they are low mount and hug the receiver cover tightly. You'd have to remove the mount to remove the receiver cover but they hold zero nicely when reinstalled as long as you're not yanking on the scope or red-dot when you remove them. They come with a weaver mount that your red-dot should mount right to. They also align the weaver rail directly above the top of the receiver, not slightly off center like some others. A russian mount for a russian gun. They are considerably cheaper than the mount listed above in the other response.
Kalinka Optics makes a very similar one but doesn't have pins in it for additional stability. I paid around $54 for mine including shipping.
I've had them in the past, they're great mounts.

here is the old eBay ad of the mount I bought, I hope the link still works: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=150306668059
Mine is the low-rise pictured in the two "blue" pictures and mine say Belarus BP-02 on them (in russian it looks more like bn-02)

Last edited:

leadcounsel

I just bought a Saiga with an excellent setup. It's got a Russian (looks like a factory Saiga b/c it has the same stampings as the rifle) side mounted scope mount. This gives the advantage of see through to the iron sights.

The stock is a skelton stock with a rotatable elevated cheek rest.

The setup combo is perfect. For iron sights, rotate the cheek rest to the right away and use the normal cheek weld. For the scope, rotate the cheek rest to the left for a higher cheek weld.