Scope mount options for an M48 Yugoslavian Mauser

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I'd like to figure out a way to mount a 1.5x or 2x power scope on my Mauser in a way that iron sights be usable (if possible) and that the gun could be loaded using clips. Any suggestions, both on scopes that would have proper eye relief, recoil resistence and on mount types/brands?

PS: The one thing I did like about Steyr AUG scope was that I could see the entire field of its view without having to shift my head back and forth. Do any other scopes have a similar design?

Yanus

If you want to keep the iron sights, about the only thing you can do is have the receiver tapped and use a Weaver "See Thru" mount. I don't like this mount because it puts the scope up high, but it will allow use of the iron sights. If you have to be able to use stripper clips, you will have to go with a B-Square or some other mount to mount a long eye relief scope. However, you will lose your iron sights. If I were doing it, I would go with the long eye relief scope. That way the receiver is untouched. If you ever change your mind, you can always replace the scope mount with the original iron sights that you saved.

Yanus

Unkel Gilbey

Oleg,

It's starting to sound like what you are looking for is a side mounted scope mount. This mounting would allow you to retain the use of your iron sights, utilize a standard eye relief scope, and still give you the ability to charge your magazine with stripper clips.

Side mounted scopes used to be the rage about... Well, it's been quite some time now. I've seen many 30-40 Krag's, 03 Springfields, Lever actions, etc. back home with these side mounted scopes. I think the main reason for the double usage of sights was that scopes (back then) were a tad poorer in their light gathering capabilities, so the use of iron sights needed to be retained for times when the scope was useless.

I caution you though, a side mount for a scope for your Mauser might be hard to find. As I said before, these mounts USED to be the rage, but with the improvement of scopes, coupled with the fact that using the stripper clip is something that a lot of folks don't care to do - means that standard scope mounts are much more readily available.

It's entirely possible that you might have to get a custom mount made by a 'smith, which would suck! $$$ Let's hope this isn't the case!

Good Luck to you!
Unkel Gilbey