Scope mount glue removal

PetahW

That looks like an epoxy was used, and the stock isn't going to be so nice when you try to remove it.

Epoxy responds to heat, but since it's in the wood, you'd be taking a chance on burning the stock.

Perhaps you could experiment by heating the rail slightly with a small propane torch or a heavy (plug-in) soldering iron.
That might soften the epoxy enough to remove the base, but you're going to play hell getting that junk out of the wood grain - especially if unseen, crosslinked anchor holes were drilled in the wood, under the base.

Scorch

If you have a freezer big enough to hold the stock, put it in the freezer for 24 hours and the matal will release from the epoxy. Otherwise, try a heat gun on the metal to release the epoxy.

Homer2

Bubba is a terrible craftsman, but his ineptitude didn't hurt much. Luckily the poxy resin reacted well to the heat gun. I tried it on low and started to probe with a dental pick. It started to peal immediately. I uncovered the screws and got them out, then gradually warmed the rail until it started to rock on the stock. Then I just gently pried it off. The four screw holes were not really in contact with the screws, so the resin-glue stuff was the only thing holding it on. The screws were metal screws for tapping into the receiver, not wood.

Apart from the holes, the only damage is mild discoloration. Bubba goes home a loser this time. All this rifle needs now is a front sight and it's back to 95% shape! (Holes are still there.)

With the only thing holding the rail on being the glue, accuracy must have been dreadful.

Attachments

• rail final.jpg
    rail final.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 19