Scope mount for Remington 783

Hawkman

Bought the rifle in .308 two days ago. Picked up two Weaver 35 bases and put a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 on it. When I took it to an indoor range to sight it in, it shot 1 inch high at 25 yards with the reticle screwed to the stop.
Suggestions?

Thanks!

BTW, groups are one-hole, so I expect pretty good things when I get to a real range!:D

FrankenMauser

That's 80 clicks up - or 20" at 25 yd.

Something is MASSIVELY wrong with that picture.

Recheck everything.
Make sure the bases are seated correctly.
Make sure the rings are the same.
Make sure the rings are seated properly on the bases.
Make sure the scope is seated properly in the rings.
Make sure both bases are actually #35 (particularly that one isn't a 36).
Eyeball the barrel and receiver, to see if your barrel shank was cut at an angle (I have seen a couple reports of such on the 783s).

Hawkman

You know, at age 68, after 50+ years of shooting, you would think I would just automatically check my work when I install a scope and find it way off.

:eek::eek::eek:

FrankenMauser

It happens to the best of us. ;)

Earlier in the year, I took the scope and rings off of a Marlin X7 and mounted the unit on a nearly-identical new Marlin X7.
I just tightened the rings on the (pre-mounted and double-checked) base, loaded up, and headed south to meet my brother for a trip to the desert and a rough sight-in.

When we pulled the X7 out for testing, the bolt hit the scope and wouldn't cycle without some 'finesse'... :eek:
That's what I got for assuming it would be just fine, rather than taking 10 seconds to check it after installation. :rolleyes:

But, the barrel turned out to be crap, so it didn't matter much. That Marlin is a .35 Whelen now! :D