Scope Mount for M1A

DEC

I would like to get a scope mount for my SA M1A. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want one that is not a piece of trash. Can anyone give me some advice. I would prefer not to have to do any milling or have a gunsmith install it. What about the use of the iron sights? Thanks

[This message has been edited by DEC (edited March 17, 1999).]

Ken Cook

There are several excellent mounts available for the M14/M1A.
First generation mount has only one mounting screw. it mounts into the receptacle on the side of the rcvr. Looks something like this. _IoI_ with the _I being the alignment ribs and the "o" is the threaded hole.
Second generation mounts use this hole plus a second hole usually mounted to a modified stripper clip guide.
This offers a great deal more stability, but unfortunately, there is a better than 200 dollar price differance between 1st and 2nd gen mounts. I have no idea why this is so. Seems a lot to pay for a new clip guide and threaded hole with screw!
For my uses, a 1st gen GI mount does quite well. Costs about 25 to 30 bucks. Just make sure you get one made of steel! There are a few out there that are aluminium and not worth the price at any price!
If you really want to go 2nd gen, you should be able to get a gunsmith to modify the 1st gen GI for you and still come out WAY ahead of the cost of a new 2nd gen.
You can find 2nd gen mounts in the Brownell's catalog. (why they don't offer a lifetime subscription, I'll never understand.) You can usually find GI 1st gen mounts at any gunshow.
Hope this helps!

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.

The problem with the original Leatherwood one point is that it is fabricated of aluminum, which walks (allows shifting which changes your zero). It was addressed by a 2nd generation mount which had a secondary mounting point on the modified clip guide. However, being aluminum, it can also walk.

IMHO, the best scope mount available for the M14 is the Brookfield precision mound which is fabricated of steel. Having two mounting points, it is also very stable. Unfortunately, it also costs about twice the price of both the GI ART II mount or (the privately owned) Springfield Armory two point mount.

The final caveat is that while the GI ART II mount and Springfield Armory's mount appears similar, they are not compatible. I only know this because I have the former and in searching for a modified clip guide, was informed by Springfield Armory of this.