scope mount changes for an old model 70

reinert

Hey gun guys,

I have a good friend who wants to put a new scope mounting system on his vintage 1969, model 70, chambered in 30-06. Since I'm helping him with the project, and since I haven't mounted a scope in a while, we're discussing what system to use to mount the Leupold vari-II, 2X7 scope. This scope has the same lens diameter(s) as my old M8, 4X (33mm obj. lens I believe).

Since we were considering using either the standard Leupold, adjustable one piece base and rings, or the Talley one piece integral system, we're wondering/considering which scope ring height to use; medium or low.

I have a model 700 Rem in '06 that I put a Leupold one piece base and ring system on over 10 years ago, and haven't had one problem with it, none whatsoever (using the "low" rings on it; works very well). The Talley system looks like a neat deal though, and we'd just like some input on that system. Mostly, the right ring height here for his model 70 is our concern. My buddy's old system is the "see through" type which has never really worked for him. Gotta lift your head off the stock to get a picture. Hence, he's not getting the enjoyment of confident shooting out of his old '06. Any input on this matter will be truly appreciated.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

reinert

hoghunting

Since we were considering using either the standard Leupold, adjustable one piece base and rings, or the Talley one piece integral system, we're wondering/considering which scope ring height to use; medium or low.

The Leupolds or the Talleys will work very well as you shouldn't have any problems with either mount. The low mounts would be perfect for your scope.

Doyle

If it is an older Model 70, then it probably has iron sights. If so, take advantage of that by using Leupold Quick Release rings and bases. You can't use them to pop the scope off and on again (and assume it will hold zero for any long shots) but that isn't what they were really designed for. Their real advantage comes when you are out hunting and you accidently whack the scope. You pop it off and continue the hunt with irons.

reinert

Great answers and input guys, and thanks for the advice on the detachables. Yes, he has the standard barrel sights on the rifle. We'll discuss the new detachable angle on his new system.

Many thanks again,

reinert

jmr40

Talley Lightweight lows will work great with that rifle and scope. Those and DNZ mounts are the only 2 I'd suggest anymore.

The QD mounts are not bad and would be an option if he really thinks he may need to use the irons. The biggest disadvantage to the QD mounts is weight. They are heavy.

Doyle

The biggest disadvantage to the QD mounts is weight. They are heavy.

I've never noticed them being any heavier than my other mounts (other being Leupold STD base and rings). I've got a set on my super-light Rem Model 7 .260 holding a VXII 2-7. It's a sweet light-weight setup that balances perfectly.

30Cal

Make sure the iron sights are worth the effort. I have some on my featherweight, but they're extremely difficult to use due to the stock. I went with the one-piece mount. If you think you need the sights for backup, then just carry the tool to pull the mount off.

Either go with iron sights, or set the rifle up for the scope; don't turn it into a half-hearted effort.

jmr40

The biggest disadvantage to the QD mounts is weight. They are heavy.

I've never noticed them being any heavier than my other mounts (other being Leupold STD base and rings). I've got a set on my super-light Rem Model 7 .260 holding a VXII 2-7. It's a sweet light-weight setup that balances perfectly.

The Talley Lightweights are 2.5 oz.
DNZ-3 oz.
2 piece Leupold windage adustable 4-6 oz depending on the rings
1 piece Leupold windage adjustable 6-8 oz depending on the rings
My Leupold QD rings are 6 oz. alone. That does not include the bases.

You could add close to 1/2 lb to your rifles weight compared to the Talley rings. if you are used to the steel windage adjustable mounts you would only see a few oz and might not notice.

I understand that weight is not a major concern to some, but the way I hunt it is to me. By choosing a lightweight scope and mount combo I can save a full pound over some other combos and still get the same perfromance.

I've been EXTREMELY impressed with both the DNZ and Talley lightweights. They just plain work better on a hunting rifle than anything I've tried. On a tactical rifle where extreme conditions may be encountered then the steel picatinney rail and quality steel rings are an advantage, but that is not needed on a hunting rifle.

kraigwy

Hard to see but the scope mounts on this rifle are the standard two peace weaver mounts, quite reasonably priced but they work.

This rifle is my 1000 yard match rifle, it's a Model 70 in 300 WM, (about the same period as yours).

Besides the iron sights shown, I use a Weaver T-10 with Weaver rings. It allows the scope to be taken off and put back on with out much of a change of impact.

I built this rifle in the early 80s, shot the crap out of it, the rings and bases still hold up.

And you arn't spending an arm and leg.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

reinert

Dear Gun Guys,

Thanks for all the great comments. We've decided to go with the Talley low mounts for his ol' '06. Once we get the old mounting system off, he's going to take a few sighters with the barrel irons just to see where he's at there. After we're sure the sights are fairly "plum," they won't be an issue at all as far as his new Talley's are concerned. If they're in the way at all with the new scope system, we'll just take them off. I can't imagine that they'll need to be removed, though.

This rifle we're working on is kind of a neat story. My buddy's dad won a raffle for a shotgun, but since he was a birdhunter with enough scatterguns, he got to trade it for the model 70 with the leupold instead. This was back in the late 60's. My friend's dad has since passed quite a few years ago, and the model 70 was passed down to his son, my buddy. The see-through mounts that were (not quite yet..) on the rifle never worked out for my friend, and kept him from shooting it much. He's killed some deer and an elk with the rifle, but said he's never really enjoyed shooting it (can't hunker into the thing with those high mounts).

I've been a reloader for well over 30 years, and have two '06's which I dearly love. Got great loads for both of them, and along with getting my buddy's model 70 fixed up with a new scope system, we're going to find a good recipe to feed his ol' model 70. Probably be some Hornady 180 grn. B.T.S.P.'s and some IMR 4350. Good elk medicine.

Thanks, and A Merry Christmas to all,

reinert

jrothWA

Is there other rifle in his cabinent?

May want to consider standardizing to the same mount system for all rifles??

Have done this with mine, Weaver's, and allows a quick replacement if needed.

Use the original "tip-off" not the stupid "quad-loc" from china!