scope issues

4runnerman

Hey All.Having issues with my new scope. I have leveled the scope and all to start with.
Now issue is i am clicked all the way the the right and am still shooting 5 inches to the left?. Some one told me there is gears inside and the scope was not assembled right when it was built?. Looking for any help or ideas.. I just got the scope Yesterday and went shooting this morning..
Thanks
Bruce

geetarman

First of some questions.

What is the rifle?

What is the scope?

Is it a new scope?

Is there a windage adjustment in the base you have not considered?

What kind of bases?

Leupold bases for Remington rifles often have a windage adjustment.
If you have that, you should make sure your scope is at mechanical zero so when the rifle is boresighted, you can take the gross errors out with the base adjustment and then tweak it with the windage adjustments in the scope.

Were you able to check the boresight BEFORE you started turning the adjustments?

Are you SURE you moved the adjustment in the right direction?

If you are unsure, move the windage all the way to one extreme end of travel and DO NOT FORCE IT.

Now, move the travel ALL the way to the other extreme and COUNT the turns.

Again, do not force.

Divide the number of turns by two and move the adjustment back that number of turns.

You should have your windage set to mechanical zero.

Check your boresight again and see if it is closer.

Please get back and let us know what you find out.

Geetarman:D

4runnerman

Thanks for the answer. I did manage to take scope and gun back.Scope is defective,Scheels could not bore sight it either. The gun is a Savage 12 FVSS with a custom 26 inch stainless steel bull barrel on it(waited 6 weeks for it).Have had issues since. Got it on Friday night,went shooting Sat morning,Original scope from previous gun broke,not an issue as has lifetime warrenty.Got a new one Sat evening and went this morning and now this.Someday i will get to shoot my new gun ( i hope ha ha). She is a sweet thing. It comes in at just under 17 lbs and i had it built with the bedded stock and all. Im a rookie to guns ,but i told the guy at Scheels i wanted to shoot at 600 to 800 yards and this is what he recommended.
Did i get what i need?. I took his word, as like i say all i know how to do is shoot. I have found out that with the longer barrel,my same loads now seem to be going about 150 fps faster. Is this normal also?.

Thanks for the help
Bruce

hooligan1

Get quality optics, And if your aiming (no pun intended) to shoot 600 yds and further, Maybe some of these old snipers will chime in and help you there. Yes it's within reason to get more fps, because the more the lenght of barrel the more percentage of powder is being burnt!:D

Chuck Dye

I changed the scope and mounts on a 1953 Model 70. Because I have no need for quick changes, I opted for the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts only to find my scope did not have enough windage adjustment to reach a zero. Turned out that the receiver's mounting holes were not drilled coaxial to the bore and that this is not uncommon in older rifles. While improvements in manufacturing techniques have, supposedly, greatly reduced the problem, it still exists. I switched to the standard two piece mounts, zeroed the scope almost entirely with the mount's adjustment, and have never had a problem.

Anyone interested in some Dual Dovetail mounts for the model 70? :)

4runnerman

Thanks again for the advice. Yes i want 600 to 800 yards. I am working with a guy who has won numorious 1st place trophies in compitition shooting. He is guiding me on my way.(of course i don't have near the gun he has),but he also seems to think with what i hve it is a realistic goal i have set. He has offered to take me with him and tutiour me as it goes. I was shooting the savage new edge series and 100,200,300 yards got to be boring. Not to brag,but it did. 3 weeks ago i took a dragon fly sitting on my target at 300 yards. 100 yards is a waste of ammo. I don't hunt or have any hobbies and the wife said Why don't you get a hobbie. Since i can remember i have had a nack for shooting guns,sooooooo guess what my hobbie is now?. HA HA.. I really do enjoy the mornings out on the range,I need not tell all of you ,but all the people out on the range(gun shooters) are about the nicest people you could meet,,, as all of you with the help and advice. Every one is always willing to give advice and help in any way possable. I want to start compitition shooting at some point in time,but have a ways to go for that. I forgot to mention my gun is a 223 and i do all my own reloads. So far 25.5 grainsof H-335 and CCI 400 primer and a COL of 2.26 is the ticket,Using Hornady 55 grain red tipped bullets.

Thanks
Bruce

hooligan1

Did you say your gun comes in at a whopping 17lbs??Where did all the extra meat come from? What rifle scope combo was you shooting dragonflies with? Hell I don't know about anybody else I would keep that rifle like it is!!!:rolleyes:

4runnerman

The origanal gun was the new Savage Edge series.Costed a whole $329.00 with the scope. Sold the scope for $40.00 bucks and put a (don't raze me now) cheap NCStar scope on it 10 x 40 x 50 . I know(junk) that thing held a zero like nothing else. I had it for 3 months and put about 3000 rounds down it. Took it to Scheels and he bored scoped it and said the barrel was in great condition,the funny thing is they gave $275.00 back with no scope on it. The dragon fly was with that gun at 300 yards.(lucky shot im sure) but 3 other people where watching me in there spotting scopes. I have had great luck with NCStar scopes so far other than this issue im having now. At 100 yards a dime 10 out of 10 times easiely.At 200 yards 3/4 to 1 inch groups and at 300 yards 2 inch groups at the most. Was a great gun,but i have heard that about savage barrels. That is why when i wanted to get a new one for real extreame distances i did not think twice about getting another Savage. So far with the scope problems i can't hit a 11 1/2 x 8 pc of paper at 100 yards.. Should be fixed by Monday evening. I must state all these shots are coming off a bag rest(no free hand). With that scope on 40 power at 300 yards i can see when a fly lands on my target. Makes all the difference in the world for shooting. The 17 lbs i assume is the Barrel 26 inches and a bull barrel to boot. It actually weights 16 lbs and 10 oz's on my scale at home(bathroom digital).

For those that are wondering--Yes 3000 rounds in 3 months.I shoot Sat and sun every weekend and about 150 to 200 rounds a day. i reload and it is still running about $180.00 to $230.00 a month.But like i said i have no other hobbies and i sell brass on the side to help support my habit. Im up every Sat and Sun by 5:30 amm and on my way to the local range about 22 miles from my house. I have a 45 acp too that comes with me every time but have not shot in in about 4 months now..

Last edited:

DnPRK

For shooting out to 1000 yds, a 10x scope with good glass is superior to a 40x scope with poor glass.

4runnerman

I had a 10 x and the scope was great but at 300 yards it just don't cut the mustard. My Targets at 300 yards are those little 1 inch white sticky circles you buy when you have a rummage sale to mark prices on. The 10 x and even the 16 i had just did not do it as well. I know NCStar scopes are cheap Junk,but i got to tell ya man they work good. I did read somewhere on internet that a $100.00 scope today is the same as a $500.00 scope just 3 years ago_Optics have come that far,as to the truth of that i can't say,But im very happy with my NCStar scope.