Scope isn't in focus when I first look through

A fox nabbed one of my chickens the other day. I took a shot at him when he came back for seconds. Today, I caught him pacing my new and improved fence trying to figure out a way in. I missed him again. I then followed him to the hills and called him in with a mouse call and missed again. I discovered I was hitting low and to the right.

However, I also discovered that when I pulled up my rifle the picture in the scope was blurry/out of focus for about two seconds and then seemed to come into focus. Never had this happen before. Doesn't happen with my other scopes so it shouldnt be my old eyes.

Sorry for the long story but I though you might be interested in my varmint hunting as well. :)

10-96

That's a bit odd. I can imagine that would turn into a head scratcher pretty quick. Could it be that someone twisted your occular bell end of the scope?

JohnKSa

Administrator
You need to adjust the focus. When you are adjusting the focus, you want to do it by looking away frequently so that you're adjusting the scope to your eyes instead of letting your eyes adjust to the scope.

The scope should have come with instructions for adjusting the focus. If not, here are some instructions for Leupold scopes. The general principles will apply, but the specifics of how your particular scope works will likely be different.

http://www.leupold.com/life/help-desk/how-can-i-focus-so-the-reticle-is-clear/

hartcreek

eye check?

Adjust your scope but when was the last time you had your eyes checked? As we age we kinda fall apart.... I used to weld with an old style flip hood and I was constantly getting flashburn. $80 and an automatic hood made a huge difference now I just have to deal with the facets of a cataract in one eye.....

wogpotter

How far away were you & what scope was it?

I ask because there are 2 distinct "focuses" in scopes. One is for your eyesight to bring the reticule into sharp focus. The other is to set the scope for a specific distance.

Depending on the scope both, only the eyesight, or neither may be fixed or adjustable.

Pahoo

It's just your eyes, trying to help you !!

You need to adjust the focus. When you are adjusting the focus, you want to do it by looking away frequently so that you're adjusting the scope to your eyes instead of letting your eyes adjust to the scope.
Great advice to follow. Whenever I set the focus on my reticles, this is exactly what I have to do, in order to accommodate my eyes. I adjust four quarter turns and quickly look. If it's out of focus, I look away and repeat the process until I'm in focus on my initial look. .... :)
With extended use, this procedure will reduce, eye-strain. .
Be Safe!!!

Pahoo

Vision changes !!!

Just got back from the range and one of the rifles that I had not shot for a few years was initially out of focus when I first looked through the scope. I know that my eyes had changed but not so much, that it has this effect. My eye were actually straining to focus. So I went through the usual exercise of peeking, looking away and adjusting. It actually took me less that a minute but seemed longer than that. It finally came in and probably good till my future eye exam. .... :rolleyes:

My point is; As you vision changes, you may have to adjust your scopes. Not a big problem but one we need to be aware of. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

mehavey

You need to adjust the focus....
Unless the OP is running an AO [adjustable objective for range], scopes don't adjust for picture/target focus.
The only thing the eyepiece adjustment does is adjust for crosshair resolution.

Now if that (the crosshairs are blurry) is the problem, then follow JohnKsa's repeated "look-away/look-back"" method