Scope help

thesheepdog

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to buy an IOR VALDADA M2 6X with a NATO reticle.

If I buy it, it will go on my 6.5mm for some long range shoots.

What range and what target size could I accurately shoot at with a 6X scope x35mm Obj?

HunterGuy

With a 6x powered scope I wouldn't use it for anything over 300 yards that needs to be hit within a 6" circle.

Hell, a 12x powered scope can get a little hairy at anything over 600 yards.

kraigwy

I disagree. I use a fixed 10X for 1000 yard matches on my any-sight any-rifle matches. It works fine. However most of my 1000 yard (and other match) shooting is with iron sights.

The 10X is a good mixture of sighting without picking up too much mirage that would wash out the target.

I wouldnt hesitate to use a 6X, I used one on the rifle I carried in LE.

The 6X is the top recomendation of the USAMU Sniper/Counter Sniper Guide for LE.

thesheepdog

Hell, a 12x powered scope can get a little hairy at anything over 600 yards.

I know. If you're optics suck! I had an 18x $400 scope that absolutely sucked at anything over 200 yards. I tried it at 400 yards and it's just way to distorted.

I want to yote hunt to about 600 yards and shoot sillouettes out to 800 yards.

HunterGuy

I'm talking about keeping 1-3" groups at these distances. If you just want to hit a target w/o any type of "precision", then yes I can see using a 6x powered scope.

If i can't break clay pigeons with it at 600 yards I wouldn't shoot at an animal with it.

And using iron sites for 1000 yard shots..... You got some great peepers on your melon for that.

mapsjanhere

For everyday shooting I usually set my scopes to distance = magnification x 50 yards, so that gives you 300 yards for a 6x.

thesheepdog

Thanks Kraigwy,

I just worried about being under-scoped when I take my rifle out for some varmint hunting (600 yards or so)

But I have spoke with others that use 2.5x scopes at 700 yards on silouettes, easy.

I can shoot very well, but I haven't had much luck in finding a place to go practice with distance over 400 yards. I think when I get my Rifleman patch next month, I will go hot and heavy for some big ranges.

kraigwy

LE = Law Enforcement

From the USAMU Counter Sniper Guide (put out for LE)

Chapter 3 para 4;a.

The magnification of the telescope influences the amount o flight that can be seen in order to indentify a target. The low power scopes have a bright image; the high powered scopes, a dim one. The six powere telescope is recommended as a happy medium

Last edited:

rickyrick

If I get over 5 or 6 on a 3-9 its just way to distracting to watch the reticle move with my heartbeat. I think a 6x would be ok

Palmetto-Pride

I prefer a higher magnification scope for me a minimum would be a 3-9x on my hunting rifle and on my long range rifle I have a 4.5-30x50mm Bushnell Elite 6500 and I love it. The best thing is you don't need a spotting scope to see your hits in fact I use it for a spotting scope for other people at the range.

kraigwy

The purpose of a spotting scope at long range is to read wind and mirage. To correctly read mirage you need to focus it between half and two thirds toward the target. If you focus the spotting scope at the target, you don't get a true reading of the mirage. In fact if you screw up and the focus is beyond the target you reverse the mirage.

So when your call says left wind, you actually have a right wind.

Plus: Too much power focused on the target is washed out by mirage. Added to that it picks up mirage from the heated barrel, further giving you a false reading.

Even with 10 X scopes, when shooting distance, I use a barrel band to break up the heat coming off the barrel.

I don't know why people insist on high power glass at long range. You don't need a clear target. An example shooting irons, if you are concentrating on the front sight, the target will be fuzzy anyway.

You can't see bullet holes at 1000 yards regardless of the power of the scope.

Another problem I've seen with using high power scopes, people tend to disregard their spotting scopes. Instead of checking conditions (which they can't see in the HP scopes) they end up chasing the spotter, instead of getting a reading for each shot. The last shot is history, when chasing spotters you are chasing history.

I don't know what type of targets one is shooting, but lets say its a man size target. You can see them quite well with lower power scopes. We were shooting to 1100 yards using M1C/Ds with their 2.2 power.

But that's just me, to each his own.

mapsjanhere

I'm amazed that the USAMU guide sprouts such oversimplification, the amount of light is dependent on the ratio of objective size divided by magnification. A 6x30 glass is less bright than a 8x56. So in daylight you won't notice the difference even there since your pupil isn't dilated. At dusk, you want a factor of 7 to optimally use your 7mm pupil, so for your 6x a 42 mm objective would be ideal.

hooligan1

Captain, I was just yanking your chain.:eek: My father was a policeman for a long time also.hehehe. ;)I figured you been about everywhere.