Scope for SRH .480 Ruger

MilesTeg

I am looking to put a quality scope on my SRH in .480 Ruger. I have decided on a fixed scope in 2x20 but not sure what brands will hold up to the recoil. How do Burris, Leupold, and Nikon stack up against each other? Are there any other "overlooked" scopes out there that should be considered? Price is a concern but overall cost/benefit is more important than finding something cheap.

Jbar4Ranch

I've put about 800 rounds through 2 different .480's that were both topped with Leupold M8 2x EER scopes. So far, so good. One was blue and one silver. The adjustment screw bezel in the middle of the scope is located slightly differently between the two, allowing the silver one to sit tight against the back of the forward ring. The blue one's bezel is located such that this can't be done without removing the rear sight or using the eyepiece lockring to sit against the rear of the rear ring.

Leupold all the way for me!

629 shooter

I have used the same 2X Leupold on three 44 mags with no problems as well. Very crisp optics - a highly defined reticle. Very compact - a perfect revolver scope.

Is not equipped with click adjustmests - uses the friction adjustments. This has presented no problems for me. And of course Leupold does not supply any type of lens covers with any of their scopes.

I have also used Burris - mostly on single shot Contenders. Again, very sharp optics - but a longer heavier scope. For 2X revolver use I prefer the Leupold.

PALongbow

I shoot full power loads out of my SRH and have a 2X Simmons gold medal scope, not the Simmons Prohunter. Clear as any Leopold at half the price. Haven't had any problems with this scope.

Ron

Jbar4Ranch

I should also mention that I have Leupold 2x EER scopes on several Contender barrels too, 35 Remington, 30 Herrett, 256 Win mag, and a 4x on a 222 barrel. All have held up perfectly. Leupold 2x EER blued models can be had on ebay for $120-$140 in very good to like new condition and the silver models for about $20 more. The old model Leupold 2x EER's without an adjustable eyepiece can usually be had for $75 to $85.