Scope for Savage 12 FVSS

akinswi

Hello everybody, I was wondering if anybody had some good high powered scopes over 32 power that they recommend. I have a muller 8-32x44 power and its a excellent scope. But.. I need more power and more obj. But I do not want to spend over 500.00 to 600.00 I know there are some good optics out there for that kinda of money because my mueller scope is 250.00 and is top notch glass even at highest power setting. Just need a 42 power... 32 just isnt enough.

thank

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm a big fan of lots of magnification but I can't imagine why I'd need over 32x. I have a 32x Mueller Eradicator on my 204 and it's plenty for woodchucks out to farther than I can shoot, way over 400 yards at least.

I can't imagine that you can get over 32x in your price range with any quality.

I'd be looking at a 30mm tube for better light gathering and quality glass.

You can certainly get good scopes in that magnification range but not that price range with that magnification.

I've never seen a scope over 32x that I'd recommend that cost less than probably $1,200.

The Mueller 32x is the best I've ever seen for the price. The Bushnell Elites are also excellent in the 32x range and in your price range but OVER 32x and still that quality is going to be pricey.

4runnerman

akinswi- I have 3 Savages in the FVSS. What Cal ya shooting?. As Brian pointed out 32 power is more than good enough. I have no issues doing 1000 yards with it. How far ya planning on shooting

akinswi

I have the savage in .308. Also i didnt think mueller made the eradicator in 32 power. I thought the scope i have was the highest power mueller had which MU83244TD model

akinswi

I just checked muellers website, i dont see a 32 power eradicator scope highest in that model is 25 power.... Did mueller discontinue that model in 32 power????

Last edited:

big al hunter

Sounds like you may need better glass, not more power. Go to a store that sells the Mueller you have and compare it to a Leopold or Swarovski. You may be surprised how much of a difference there is. I used to think that power was more important than glass quality. Then a friend of mine had me compare a 200$ pair of Nikon binoculars to a 500$ pair of vortex binoculars. :eek: clear glass makes a tremendous difference. You can see more detail with clear glass at 12 power than you can with OK glass at 18 power. Don't take my word for it. Go see for yourself.

FiveInADime

Big al hunter:

I dont know which pair of Nikon binos you tried (Prostaff?) but I have a set of 10X42 Monarchs (the older ones) and when I was shopping I couldn't find a set under $800 that would have been an optical "upgrade" to my particular set of Monarchs. The Vortex that were about $500 at the time were not as good at resolving distant details and the color was also duller in the 2 sets I tried. I just decided to use my Nikons until someday I can afford some Leicas or Swaros.

My point is, in my experience, there is a large gap between the entry level quality optics and the top tier stuff but the in between is cluttered with marginal upgrades.

To the OP. I would suggest living with your Mueller Target Dot until you can buy a Nightforce benchrest scope or comparable. The marginal upgrades in between wont be worth it in my opinion.

4runnerman

best bang for the buck weaver t36

Awesome scope other than on a hot day with a warm barrel you can't back off the power. Mirage is a killer on those days