Scope for rem 700 sps varmint .308

T-Ray

I bought a rem. 700 sps varmint last year (the dicks model) in .308 with a heavy barrel and the kinda weird stock that will be replaced later on. I now want to buy a "nice" scope for it to replace the el cheapo remington label scope that it came with. I really want to stay under $400, but i might flex if i need to spend more for what i want. The longest hunting shot i would ever take with it would be 300 yds, and the closest would be about 75, so i was thinking something like a 4x12 power, but i'm completely open to suggestions. I saw a cabelas scope that had the range adjustment knobs that could be switched out for different calibers, but i know that i'll eventually put something nicer on it, but i liked the concept. is there anything like this that is available in a better brand? I'm sorry that these are somewhat scattered comments, but this is really my first time buying a nice, long(er) range scope. Some questions: 40mm or 50mm? What power? Why do some scopes have what seems to be an extender ont the end of them? Would i have to get abnormally high rings for a 50mm? I was looking at a Leupold VX-II 4x12-40 for $450 on cabelas site, but want to know, would i have to get a ballistics chart and what not to be able to adjust for a long shot, or is there some "cheater" that it either includes or can be had? b/c i don't personally trust myself to actually aim above an animal that needs to be drt, not injured.

fyimo

I bought a Nikon Coyote Varmint 4.5x14 last month off of GB for $279 and it's a great scope and has the BDC compensation system built into the reticle.

Doodlebugger45

I only have 2 rifles with the nicer scopes. My 270 WSM has a Nikon 4.5-15 X with the BDC on it. It is really nice and sells for about $290. Also I have a custom Selby rifle in 7 MM Mag. It has a Leupold VX3 on it that sells for about $430. Yeah, I feel really special carrying the custom rifle with the nicer scope. However, if you fire them side by side at the same range session, you realize that the Nikon is just as clear as the Leupold. I don't really use the BDC system. It's kind of a gimmick if you ask me.

Point is that there is kind of an elitist mentality still associated with having a Leupold. The Nikon is probably a better overall value at $140 less money.

And if I were to be brutally honest, when I compare those 2 scopes to my 7 MM Mag BLR with a Weaver Classic 3-9, yeah, I can notice a very slight difference in clarity. Very slight indeed. But that scope works just as well as the other 2 do in the real world. And it only costs about $180.

I don't think you want to go ultra cheap on the scopes, but you don't have to spend a fortune either.

Fat White Boy

I have a Nikon BuckMaster 3-9X40 on a Winchester Model 70 in .270 and a Remington 700VLS in .308 with a Leupold VXI 3-9X40. I would recommend either without any reservations....

trublu

4-14X seems too high and I don't think a 50mm objective is neccessary either but perhaps that's just me.

Two similar scopes I really looked at for my Remington were Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36 and Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10X40. I ended up buying the Leupold and can't praise it highly enough. Don't know how much they cost in your part of the world but it's worth the cost.

If you sight the scope in 2 inches high at 100 yards then there is no need to adjust your point of aim at hunting distances. (Search for maximum point blank range)

jman841

I have the same rifle with a Mueller Tac II on it and am very impressed with the optic. You can get them for about 270, they have the mil dot reticle and are adjustable zoom from 3-10 x 44mm. The Mil dot is not a perfect system for every caliber, from my experience its more or less spending time on the range and figuring out how to use it with your file and caliber.

That "extender" you ask about is a shade, it keeps some of the glare and sunlight out.

mapsjanhere

Your price puts you right at the Leupold VXII range. I don't think you need to worry much about ballistics if you stay under 300 yards, if you sight 2" high at 100 you should be "on deer" up to 300. I find the 3-9 40 mm my preferred size if I'm moving around and expect to shoot standing up, any larger magnification and I need to go prone or find a tree. If you're on a stand, that 4-12x50 is perfect.

T-Ray,

Numrich is currently dumping VLS laminate BDL s/a handles for 115 clams and that would greatly enhance your platfiorm.

You want a 1" 3.5-10x 40mm non-A/O Leupie wearing turrets and you should have no trouble slicking one up,with your slated budget. Dumped in Talley LW's,you'll have very much,for very little................