scope for new ar 15?

keithdog

Hello, I am posting this on my fathers firing line account.
I am now the owner of an AR-15 and this is my first "big boy" rifle, one might say. Custom build by a local shop in town called warrior arms. The rifle has a free float handguard equipped with magpul backups and my question is this: Leupold Scout scope 1.5-4x or bushnell AR optic 1-4x? I would prefer the fast target acquisition of a scout and do desire some sort of light magnification. I also want to be able to shoot with both eyes open comfortably. That being said the bushnell would be an able scope, I have no doubt, and for significantly less money. Of the two, I want the Leupold, but having never used a scout scope before, I don't know if I want it badly enough to pay twice the cost of the bushnell for it. Is it worth it? Are scout scopes very comfortable to use? Can the Bushnell be used well with both eyes open at 2x?
PS I do not want a red dot. I know everyone likes those on their AR-15's but I want an optic that does not require batteries.

CDR_Glock

Hello, I am posting this on my fathers firing line account.

I am now the owner of an AR-15 and this is my first "big boy" rifle, one might say. Custom build by a local shop in town called warrior arms. The rifle has a free float handguard equipped with magpul backups and my question is this: Leupold Scout scope 1.5-4x or bushnell AR optic 1-4x? I would prefer the fast target acquisition of a scout and do desire some sort of light magnification. I also want to be able to shoot with both eyes open comfortably. That being said the bushnell would be an able scope, I have no doubt, and for significantly less money. Of the two, I want the Leupold, but having never used a scout scope before, I don't know if I want it badly enough to pay twice the cost of the bushnell for it. Is it worth it? Are scout scopes very comfortable to use? Can the Bushnell be used well with both eyes open at 2x?

PS I do not want a red dot. I know everyone likes those on their AR-15's but I want an optic that does not require batteries.

Leopold has better glass and clarity.

Another one to consider is a Vortex Strike Eagle. 1-4x 24 mm. It does have a lighted reticle if you wish, but if not, you don't need to turn it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

marine6680

There are 1x type optics that do not require batteries. Prismatic types with etched reticles.

It is possible to shoot a low powered magnified optic with both eyes open for close range work if you practice, but it usually requires some type of illumination of the reticle to work well.

Now here is the low down and truth of the matter...

A red dot is the fastest sight to use for close range work, quick to use out to 100yds give or take, and decently quick out to a few hundred yards... If high precision shots are not critical.

A magnified optic will slow you down at close range, and does not tolerate awkward shooting positions very well... Not even when using a both eyes open shooting style... You have to have your eye lined up properly to use one as well. But you gain speed and precision when shooting out to a few hundred yards. At 100yds, it is about as fast as a red dot while adding precision. Without illumination, they are not useable at night. (this is true for most optics)

A 1x prismatic reduces some of the drawbacks of the magnified optics, but not all or fully... But, etched reticle means no battery needed.

There is no free lunch, everything is a compromise. You gain in one area, you loose in another. You can't get it all in one package. I don't even recommend magnifiers for red dots, as they really don't add much. They magnify the target, but also the aiming dot, so you gain no precision.

There really isn't anything like "light magnification" or even "light gathering". Light transmission is all down to the quality of the glass and the coatings on the lenses. A larger objective is really more about field of view and a more forgiving eyebox, than increasing the brightness of what you see, relative to other similar optics.

You need to ask yourself.. . "What am I going to use this rifle for, what is its purpose?"

As that is the most important thing to determine the best optic for you.

As far as batteries are concerned... Get a quality red dot, and the batteries can last for several years of constant "ON" time. An Aimpoint PRO is rated for 30,000 hours of continuous run time on brightness level 7 of 10... That is just under 3.5 years of battery life.

Other red dots are rated to 50,000 hours... or 5.7 years.

A note on "Scout" scopes... Most are designed for long eye relief, as they are meant to be mounted farther forward, in front of the action on some rifles... Not a good choice for an AR.

An AR, unless built for the purpose, is not a precision rifle. While modern ARs, made with quality barrels and parts, are capable of shooting some reasonably tight groups... That is not the purpose of the average AR carbine.

But a basic carbine does do well with low powered scopes though. It really comes down to what you want from the rifle. Just don't ask it to do what it isn't able to do, nor ask it to fill multiple roles at the same time.

keithdog

Thank you for the responses gentleman, and you most of all marine6680 for taking the time to give me a thorough reply. I am well aware that I must make trade offs with whatever option I go with- my purpose is a close range (50 maybe 100 yd zero) that is capable of hitting a man size target out beyond that range if necessary. I know virtually every option will allow me the latter of those criteria, so it is the close range that concerns me most. And your word on red dots is very true, I like them and would love to have one, but I only have money for one optic and will go with a 1-4x etched optic over a red dot. With that being my concern- past 200 yards being unlikely, I live in the suburbs of NW Indiana and the hills, trees, and houses limit my field of view to a distance usually not in excess of 150yds- do you think the 1-4x magnification of a scope sitting in the traditional location would serve me best for a closer range rifle capable of somewhat longer shots, or would the forward mounted scout scope, theoretically obstructing less of my vision- be ideal for that close- 200 yard shot I might need in middle class suburbs (assuming SHTF)?

Sorry if my previous question was unclear, and sorry if this one is too.

marine6680

You don't want to mount an optic pass the receiver of an AR... As in, not on the free float handguard... Not even half on the receiver and half on the handguard.

You will have issues zeroing... And the flex at the joint is bad on the optic.

A 1-4x or 1-6x will work well for intermediate distances, and can work well enough close in. The primary arms listed above is a good option, and are some of the best under $300 options in a low power scope.