Scope for M1A opinions.

dvdcrr

So if you were going to scope an M1A in order to make torso sihlouette hits at 500 yds. and not be too heavy what would you pick? Something with a custom 7.62 Dial? I am thinking about a basset low mount, 30 mm rings and a Mark 3HD 4-12X40 paralax adjustable. It only weighs around 17 oz. Keeping the rifle somewhat portable. I think the power range I would look at would be 12-18 power and keep weight to less than 20 Oz. for sure. Just cant stomach the real heavy scopes. maybe a max of 44 MM. obj. Would be cool to find something already graduated on the dial to match 168 gr. from a M14 length.

Shadow9mm

Maybe I'm way off, but to make torso silhouette hits at 500 yds I would think a 1-6 or 2-7 would be adequate. worst case a 3-9. 4-12 or 4-14 seems like it would be a fair bit of overkill to me.

Last edited:

bacardisteve

Not a fan of the leupold cds if that's what your talking about with a custom dial. Too many environmental factors come into play to have a dial only marked in yardages for me. Torso hits @ 500 has me thinking acog or 5x prism optic maybe a good 1-8 lpvo.

Logs

I mounted a Sightron last year on my M1A. It will shoot 500 yards or more.

77yLURNl.jpg

oItePLRl.jpg

ocSycedl.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
So if you were going to scope an M1A in order to make torso sihlouette hits at 500 yds. and not be too heavy what would you pick?

I would pick a Leatherwood ART 3x-9x. Its what they were made for..:)\

Good luck finding one, though....:rolleyes::(

JustJake

M1As don’t scope well, and require a huge cheekpiece on the stock to even get close to decent eye-relief and correct comb-height … unless maybe you’ve been blessed with a neck like a giraffe’s. Plus, they end up weighing a ton after scope, mount, and the obligatory bipod.

Noop. Smart chookies run these Old School rifles irons-only. Same with M1s.

44 AMP

Staff
Smartest cookies run what works best for them and don't care about other people's opinions about how smart they are....:rolleyes::D

mos

I have two scoped M1As and would feel confident taking MoM shots at 500 with either. Both are standard pre-ban (so, 22”).

1 - Ultimak M8 Scout Handguard & Burris 2-7 Scout Scope w/ Leupold QR Med Rings

2 - Sadlak Airborne Steel Mount & Swarovski Z6 5-30x50 BT/4W (SWA59918) w/ Seekins 30mm Low (.82) Rings

Love the IER 2-7 rig for handiness and the Swaro 5-30 for LR precision.

Pick your application. Can’t really go wrong either way.

mos