Scope for long range target shooting

JWR

Looking for a scope for a Savage 112BVSS. I like the Leupold 8.5-25X over the 6.5-20X. Any opinions? This is for 300+ yd target shooting for fun, not competition. Also, the Target models (not the 30mm long range target) I saw have target knobs and sunshade for an extra $55. Are they worth bothering with?

I've talked myself into thinking 25X is better than 20X, but 6.5X and 8.5X are about the same, so why not the higher power scope?

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Keep in mind that the higher the power the 1)narrower the field of view and 2) the more apparent motion you will see through the scope (a friend has one that when your heart beats you can see the movememt in the scope)

Are sun shades & target knobs worth it? One word - Yes. Expecially the Target Knobs. They will allow you to zero in on your target faster.

WalterGAII

I just bought a Burris 8-32X44mm, with Posi-Lok. Seems to be a great scope. Burris offers several scopes of higher powers than Leupold. I do use sunshades and target knobs.

Hutch

I have a 8.5x25 Long Range, and I'm very pleased with it. The field of view issues are quite valid. Be careful.