Scope for AR-15

Lurch37

Although I would love to have an ACOG, my present budget doesn't allow for that. I am presently trying to decide between the Nikon M-223 or the Leupold AR. I see that for roughly the same money one can purchase either. Thru the end of May, Nikon is throwing in one of their mounts free, although SWFA has a package deal with the Leupold that includes a Burris mount.

I have searched the forums and tried to gleen as much info as I can. It's my opinion that both are quality scopes. I have read some reports of the Nikon mount being "so-so".

I would like opinions from those of you that have one or the other or possibly have used both. Thanks!

Skadoosh

I went with Nikon as well for my 20" AR. Very nice scope.

I had a Leupold that would not hold zero. I sent it back and was shipped a brand new replacement in less than two weeks. It sits on my boltgun.

Comparatively, the Nikon seems to have slightly better clarity and brightness than the Leupold.

HiBC

I have not looked at the Nikon but I recently bought aLeu MK A R Mildot.I would buy another one if I needed another AR scope.Once you get your load,chrono it,send the Velocity,BC,your altitude,sight height etc to the Leu custom shop,they will make you a new dial-a range elevation knob for your load.You also have the mildot.I have a couple of the Burris PEPR mounts.I might give them 3 stars.Cheap,and OK,but not great.Look close at the mating surfaces to the rail and dress any high spots.I'm using them,they work.

Last edited:

shanzlik

I have a Mark AR 3-9x40 mildot in an M223 mount. (The M223 scopes weren't out when I bought the Leupold) It's a good scope and is better than a Buckmaster but not quite up to the Nikon Monarch clarity level. I haven't had a chance to see through an M223 yet.

The M223 mount is very nice in my opinion. It is lighter weight than a PEPR, which is good for saving weight and should still be plenty stout for an AR. I would think you would break the scope before you would break the mount.

I have a couple PEPRs, too, and if you're really hard on gear or need the top rails on the rings, that may be the way to go. I tried using a FastFire II on the top rail and found it to be too tall - a 1 o'clock offset rail works better for that.

One nice thing with the Nikon is you get a built-in 20MOA cant to help gain more effective elevation range with your scope.

It would be hard to go wrong with either scope or either mount.

SWMP15MOE-2.jpg

NWdude83

Since you are looking for a compact scope thats around 1-4x might I suggest the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32. When I eventually build or buy another AR carbine, that will probably be what Im gonna put on it.

HJ857

Another possible option is the Burris Tac30.

I just have a general comment. If you are going to use it like a red dot/both eyes open - the the 1X must be a true 1X to really work well, even a 1.1X can screw up your binocular vision.

For that reason I'd say that if a both eyes open technique is important to you then accept only a true 1X scope. If it's not important, then skip anything in the 1.5 to 2x range and go straight for a 3x to whatever range and probably save some money in the process.

madcratebuilder

Nikon's running a special on the M223, comes with a free M223 mount ($100). SWFA was them in stock and if you find a cheaper price Swfa has a 110% price match guarantee.

tirod

I always find it amusing to see recommendations - and yet we have no idea what the scope will target, at what range.

Add the difficulty that both models have more than one range of powers - the Leupold has four models, the Nikon, five.

An honest recommendation could include not even using a scope, help us out and fill in some details.

Lurch37

Over this last weekend I had the opportunity to examine both Models and found that I preferred the Nikon over the Leupold. Both looked to be well made and had what I wanted, but the Nikon glass seemed to be clearer. I didn't buy the scope where I was as I knew I could get the free mount deal from places online, so I will be ordering that soon.

Thanks for your input!