scope for a 30-06

TCman

I have a remington 700 ADL 30-06 and I want a scope for it. I have a simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20x50mm, but I heard it wont stand up to the recoil. I dont want to spent more than 150 or 200 dollars. Any comments?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
No idea about the Whitetail Classic, but my Simmons 44Mag 3x10 on my '06 has some 250 rounds gone beneath it. Works just fine. Full-house 150-, 165- and 180-grain bullets. No plinker loads.

But, if you're concerned, WalMart has the Leupold VX1, which is plenty good for a hunting scope. 3sx9x40 served me well since 30+ years ago. I have several Vari-X IIs on different rifles. never a problem.

Art

TPAW

What is the purpose for a scope, hunting, target? If hunting, what type of terrain are you in, dense woods, open terrain? As for target, what are your expecations with a 30.06, 200, 300, 400 yards? Only then can I recommend a scope.

Wild Bill Bucks

Simmons Aetec 2.5X10, 300 Win Mag, 6 years hunting with it, sighted in once when I mounted it, and still shoots the same spot. Have never had to touch it since. $235.00 Well Spent.

youp

It would seem that Simmons lacks consistency. Some guys swear by them and some swear at them. Put a couple of hundred rounds through your rifle. It will make you a better shot and prove out your Simmons worth.

If it fails you might try a Leupold.

7mm-08

I Have A Bushnell Scopechief On My 30.06.been On Top Of There Since 1983 No Troubles What So Ever.unfortunatly This Model Was Discontinued A Long Time Ago I Really Like My Bushnells I Have 4 Of Them. 3x9x40 Scopechief On My 30.06,3x9x40 Dusk To Dawn On The 7mm-08,3x9x40 Sharpshooter On The Blackpowder.and A 4x On The

kingudaroad

Nothing worse than spending $200 on a scope that wont stay on. Take a chance and it may work out for you. Or you may end up spending another $400 to replace it after a ruined hunt. Now you have spent $600 and messed up a hunting experience.

Been down that road and never again.

Never heard anyone bash a Leupold.

sparkysteve

My Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 40 was about $200. I love it. It's also on a .30-06. I think the VX-II is a little more. Both are excelent scopes. IMHO, low end Leupolds are clearer and more reliable than high-end scopes of other brands.

H&Hhunter

You simply can not go wrong with any of the Leupold Vari X III products.

I personally like the 1.75X6 or the 2.5X8 best. I've got one on my .375H&h that has well over 1,000 fullhouse rounds in it's history and it's never so much as hiccoughed.

You can buy them for right at $400.00.

They are by far the best scope for the money and they have a no questions asked warranty.

TCman

I will be hunting in mostly wooded area. but on field edges. I wouldnt take a shot more than 250 yards.

TPAW

If your going to reach out to 250 yards, a 3x9x40 would be nice. Look for a scope that offers the most light gathering ability. It gets dark in the woods on those over cast days, especially in the thick low pines where the deer like to hide.