Scope for 300 wsm X-Bolt

sks

Am looking to get a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker Carbon Fluted Barrel in 300 wsm and wondering what optics to put on top. My total budget for rifle and optics is $2,400.00.

I want a scope that helps me the most. :) The gun should run me $1,200.00 or so, which means I've got about that much for the scope. I don't want to spend it if I don't have to but am willing to do so if needed.

Thoughts on some good glass?

Thanks in advance.

bacardisteve

What are your plans for the rifle? Is it just for hunting or is gonna be used frequently on the 1000yd line and in competition?

taylorce1

I'd look at the VX3 3.5-10X40 Leopold on the low end and a Z3 3-10X42 Swarovski on the upper end. Both are under $1200 and are probably two of the lightest scopes without stepping into the ultralight class of scopes. Pair either scope up with Talley light weight mounts and you'll have a nice light package to hunt everything except African DG with.

sks

Thanks to all for your input. I'll check out the scopes you have mentioned. I'm not one that knows a lot about scopes and really need to learn more. Have my share of Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, Trijicon, etc. but have rarely hunted with one.

No long range competition or 1,000 yard shots with this setup. Just have the money and want something that I can hunt anything in NA with out to 500-700 yards. We live in Missouri so there will be no long shots here but I have been invited to both Colorado and Montana for Elk hunting where the shots would undoubtedly be a bit longer. :)

Not trying to set this up to be a "sniper" rig either. This is something I don't have in my current collection and with the available funds I want to get the most I can that matches my needs.

taylorce1

Trust me hunting elk, just make sure you're confident in your shooting ability from field positions out to 300. It'll serve you well in CO and MT, if you take a 500-700 yard shot it's because you wanted to not needed to.

sks

Taylorce1: Thanks for your input and I certainly understand your points. With the right equipment I have no problem taking the shots you mention. Just don't consider myself in the 2000 yard sniper range with a .22 like some do. :D

When I get the rig setup I'll post some pictures here. Appreciate the input.

sks

Got it today!

IMG_20150127_205252839.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20150127_205407169.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sks

taylorce1: Thanks! :) I thought the Rem 700 BDL was the nicest gun I owned but this one goes beyond that.

Here are the details:

Scope: Swarovski Z3, 4-12 x 50 with the ballistic turret and PBC (personalized ballistic cam). You can set up to 4 preset distances with the scope turret.

Gun: Browning X-Bolt, carbon fiber stock, brushed stainless fluted barrel, 300 wsm caliber.

Can't wait to sight it in this weekend if the weather holds.

burrhead

Very nice. I've had an X-Bolt hunter in 308 for a few years and think it's superb. I'm sure you'll feel the same. That scope is out of my league so I limp along with a Leupold but that is a fine setup you have.

sks

Burrhead: Thanks much. The scope is out of my league as well, just had the funds and figured I might as well go for it or I would regret it one day. :)

At least I know that the gun and scope should shoot better than I can.

B4Sunrise

I down a Browning X-bolt in 7mm mag, I have a 4.5x14 Zeiss Conquest on it, the scope is impeccable, has incredibly low-light clarity you have to see to believe, can't go wrong with one.

Last edited:

sks

B4: When I purchased the scope it was between the Zeiss and Swarovski. Zeiss was very clear as well. Ultimately, the advice of some fellow shooters swayed me to the Swarovski. I agree, either one would have been good and will do a better job than I can. :D