Scope for 25-06

rickdavis81

I just picked up a lightly used Savage 25-06 rifle this week. I hadn't planned on buying a 25-06 so I had never paid them any attention till my buddy needed some cash so I bought it off of him. I'm hearing good things about the cartridge though. I'm trying to decide on a scope for it. I'm leaning towards a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x, a Bushnell Elite 3200 5x15x40, or a SWFA super sniper 10x. I'm thinking the 5x15 is going to get the nod though. I can pick one up on E-bay for 280 plus shipping. They are 330 at Cabelas. Any reason I shouldn't save $50 by buying the one on E-bay? The rifle will be used for coyote hunting probaly out to 350 yards and some paper punching. Any other scopes that might fit the bill?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If your odds of close-in shots are low, I see nothing wrong with a 5X minimum magnification. For most hunting use, though, it's my opinion that a fixed 10X is sorta limited for field of view. Too limited, really. Paper punching is a different story.

jonutarr

Unless you will be using a shotgun as well I wouldn't put anything above 3 power for the low end
I plan to get a bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 this year, IMO you should seriously consider it also as It would be perfect for your rifle and hunting type

Martyn4802

For Coyote hunting with shots to 350 yards, I vote for a fixed Leupold FX 6x42. It's probably one of the best scopes Leupold makes, along with their 4x33.
The Leupy 6x42 has excellent field of view, equally excellent eye relief and a great eye box. It is superior to any Bushnell scope in these respects. IIRC, the Bushnell is limited in windage and elevation adjustment travel compared to the Leupy.

Martyn

CamoCop

you won't be disappointed! once you actually squeeze a round off on a .25-06 you'll be all grins. i scoped mine with a Pentax Lightseeker 4-12x40 and haven't been disappointed. i don't yote hunt alot, unless i see one during deer season. that Pentax is great with light gathering and crystal clear.

rickdavis81

Thanks for the replies. I also found the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5x14.40 SF today that I like. I think I would like the side focus. Anybody have any experience with these?

44 AMP

Staff
Low power on the bottom end of a variable

Is very useful, especially on moving targets. 1.5x, 2.5x, 3x or no higher than 4x is very handy for the field of view. Higher powers are fine for longer ranges, where you have the time to hunt for the target in the smaller field of view, and on stationary targets. Moving targets call for wider fields of view, to find and keep the target in the scope. And they are not less accurate at low magnicifaction.

butta9999

Stay Away from bushnell

I have a bushnell on my old .222 rem 788. Its a 6x18x50. The scope is a little over kill but i use for long varmit shooting. It is hopeless in the spotlight yes i know high magnifiation can be the cause. My friend has a bushnell on his .220 and when we click allowing for windage and drop, after the shot the scope never returns to point of origin. Go the leupold fix or variable they never lie and they are great in the spotlight. I have a Pecar Berlin on my .243 4x12x40 it is an amazing scope but rrp is about $1900. Spend the little extra on a leupold its worth it.

73-Captain

Nikon Buckmasters 4.5x14.40 SF

"Thanks for the replies. I also found the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5x14.40 SF today that I like. I think I would like the side focus. Anybody have any experience with these?"

Purchased a Savage 12 BVSS in .260 Rem several weeks ago and put a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5x14.40 SF on it. Scope appears to be very well made, rugged, bright, clear and high contrast.

Only problem I can see with the Nikon is what several others have said, for a hunting rifle, a scope with a lower minimum power would be better.

Personally I would rather have a 2x or 3x at the low end.

C.

Peter M. Eick

I put a 6.5x20 vxIII AO 50mm on my 25-06. Excellent glass for a great round. I freely admit I would not go mid or short range hunting with it though. Even at 6.5 it is "too much glass".

jonutarr

Stay Away from bushnell

Ignorant statement

Bushnell's ain't Bushnell's

The 4200 & 6500's are made in Japan and have glass better than any Leupold

Low end Bushnell's suck yes but so do low end Leupold's