Scope Construction Question (One-piece vs. Two-piece)

Savage110

Hello,
I was just wondering if there are any advantages to having a scope with one-piece construction over two-piece construction, or vice versa? Thanks for any info you can give me.

M700

Think about it.......less pieces=less to go wrong. Less places for a maker to integrate seals in order to join the pieces together. Less weak points that may cause a catastrophic failure. Less is more in my book. :)

Any scope from a good manufacturer should be a one piece design.

Commander Fan

Multiple-piece tube designs are mainly due to economics. It costs less for a manufacturer to produce them when compared to a 1-piece.

For me, now, they're a must. My last 3 scopes have been one piece; my Leupold Mk4 M1 16X40(my new baby:)), Weaver Grand Slam 4.75X40, and Tasco SS10X42M. Considering the Weaver was purchased for just $219 new, it can't cost too much more to have them machined.

I guess I'm just a 'simplist', but I've had scopes break before and now I demand fixed-power & 1-piece. A lifetime guarentee doesn't do me any good during a yearly week-long huntng season in the boonies.

Fewer parts, fewer problems.

Northwest Cajun

Comander Fan,
How do you like your Tasco SS? Is it holding up?
The only place I could find them is SWFA but they are sold out :(
I e-mailed them and they said that they MIGHT get some more in a few months, but they couldnt say what price they will be either. Should I wait? My second choice is a Bushnell 3200Elite10x Mil dot w/ target knobs. It is a 1 piece made out of a titanimum alloy.
This is for a Springfield M1A1
Cajun

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. I just came across your question from earlier this week.

The SS10X42M is still doing great. It has NEVER changed point-of-impact and sees alot of transport and shooting. The glass is as clear as you could ask for.

I'll admit it's not my favorite scope, but it's worth every dime I paid for it. I just have it mounted were a fixed parallex w/standard-height turrets should be sitting(Les Baer AR).

I was recently very close to buying the SS16X or SS20X for target work, but came across a catalog-company that allows you to purchase scopes on a 4 payment plan. Realisticly, I could have purchased 4 of the Tasco's for the price of my new Leupold Mk4, but it's a Mk4, and I've wanted one for at least a decade now, I've just had trouble letting my "Firearms Allowance" get up to the $1,200 range. You know how things 'come along' while you're saving for something else:).

If anyone else is interested, the company is called Shooters, and is based in St. Paul, MN. They have a website(www.sportsmansguide.com) and carry the full line of Leupold and other brands, including night-vision optics. My payments on the Mk4 are $298/mo, which is in the ballpark range of other Leu dealers. That includes shipping and the $29 it takes to set up the payment program. The scope arrived 4 days after placing the order.

Just a thought.