Scope advise sought

wyobohunter

O.K., first the reason. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 and had a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Ultralite scope. The eye relief was a little short for my 180 gr. loads. I have a Rem. 700 LSS in .338 RUM that had a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40mm. I have pulled the Ultralite 3-9 and put it in a box to slap onto a lighter kicking rifle in the future. Next I mounted the longer eye relief 4-12x40mm onto the Tikka and it works great. The question is, what to buy for the .338?

Rem. Model 700 LSS in .338 RUM
Trigger job
Glass bedding
Free floated
Scope taps drilled & retapped for larger mounting screws
Barrel fire lapped
Muzzle brake

The rifle shoots sub MOA with my 250 gr. Sierra Gameking SBT's but it's a fairly heavy beast at 8 lbs 12 oz with bases & rings attached (no scope). My plan for it is to dial it in as my 500 (+?) yd road/wheeler/boat hunting big critter getter so I don't mind a fairly heavy scope.

If I spend more than $800 on a scope my wife will likely keel over. I'd like a scope with target knobs so I can develope an adjustment card to tape to the stock (used with my rangefinder). What should I get?

GONIF

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 .4 inch eye releif , brighter ,clearer,better in low light and same warentee. :D target knobs on a hunting rifle in the 33 cal range is not needed,you zero it in at 200 yards and you are good to go .

Last edited:

Rangefinder

It's tough to argue Zeiss optics, but one with higher power capacity and finger-click adjustments is likely to spill over the $800 cap. Nikon's Monarch series is within range for sure though. Still top-end optics, and lifetime warrenty on water, fog, and shock. I'll mill this one over a bit more though to see what else comes to mind.

Flatbush Harry

I've got the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 w/ RapidZ600 reticle on my Savage 116 FSHAK in .30-06...I love the scope. Will probably get another for my Rem 700 SPS SS in .308 Win. I'm also anticipating picking up a Rem700 SPS-V in .22-250 or .243 Win and will put a Zeiss Conquest with 4-14 or 6-20 and a RapidZ Varmint reticle on it (as well as a B&C stock but that's another project).

FH

wyobohunter

I just looked at the Nikon Monarchs at Cabelas. I like the 6-24SF. 1/8 MOA hand adjustment and 50mm lense. I hadn't even considered the Nikon scopes. Well, back to the reloading bench...

GONIF

you are buying way more power than you need and if you have to take a close up shot 3 or 4x is better than 6x .A FIXED 18X IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN HUNT WITH A 338 WIN MAG. the trend now a days is to high power scopes ,but with a .338 win mag you would be able to see and shoot any animal that you would use a 338 Win mag on very nicely with a 3-9 . I can see just fine with a 3-9 at 400 yards .were you planing on shooting past 400 yards ? I asume you will be hunting large game ,not P dogs.:confused:
and if you mail order your scope you will pay less, Cabellas can be pricey

Last edited:

Horseman

I just looked at the Nikon Monarchs at Cabelas. I like the 6-24SF. 1/8 MOA hand adjustment and 50mm lense. I hadn't even considered the Nikon scopes. Well, back to the reloading bench...

I just sold that scope. Couldn't get it to focus well enough @300yds. My buddy has the same 6-24 scope and we noticed it in his. I thought maybe he just got a bad one so I got one and..........I was wrong. IMO there's better scopes for the same money as the Monarch.

jhgreasemonkey

I would try a one piece scope mount and position the scope a little bit further forward. Then see if that works before spending the money on another scope when you already have a really good one. A one piece mount from b square or similar is minimal $.

Claude Clay

Burris is +quality for money. bright and distortion free edge to edge. light transmission is fabulous: contrast is strong even at the tree line or when loosing the sun.

Christchild

Here Ya Go...

Nikon Monarch 4-16x50mm BDC Reticle. $500 new

Great Clarity... 3.7"-4" Eye Relief... Left Side Parallax Adjustment...

I've heard great things about Burris, we all know Leupold is popular, and alot of folks scoff at Nikon. I have the scope. More than what's typically needed, around here, anyway... but lowest magnification is 4x (many folks hunt with fixed 4x) and greatest magnification is 16x (Long Range Shots call for Longe Range Dots). All in a 1" tube.

I wouldn't trade mine for the BEST Leupold.

wyobohunter

you are buying way more power than you need and if you have to take a close up shot 3 or 4x is better than 6x

This is a dedicated long range rifle, within reason there will be no such thing as more power than I need because I want all the power I can get for long range and target shooting... I didn't mention targets in the first post but I'd like to be able to hit targets at 700 or more yards and large game at 500+ yards.

wyobohunter

A FIXED 18X IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN HUNT WITH A 338 WIN MAG.
This is a dedicated long (by my standards) range rifle, I have a nice shootin' 30-06 for medium range work and an awesome 45-70 for up close stuff. The .338 RUM will be brought along only when I'm hunting wide open spaces where close in shots are highly unlikely. If I'm on mechanized transportation I'll also be packin' my 500 S&W Mag if things happen to get that personal...

It isn't a .338 Win. Mag it is a .338 RUM. Using the Sierra Gameking 250 gr. bullets with a B.C. of .565

.338 RUM at 3000 fps = 36" low and a 14" windage correction (10 mph wind) at 500 yds...

.338 Win Mag. at 2700 fps = 50" low and an 18" correction (10 mph wind) at 500 yds...

So, there isn't an earth-shattering difference between the two, but enough IMO to reach out a bit farther if conditions allow.

Also, if the rifle is accurate the velocity/correction point is moot as I have a decent shot angle correcting rangefinder, an anemometer and a spotting scope for real world me-to-target range and windage comparison.

were you planing on shooting past 400 yards ?
Yes, hence the anal (and not previously mentioned) reloading/range sessions.

I just sold that scope. Couldn't get it to focus well enough @300yds.
I've had the same experience with Nikon spotting scopes but thought it was because they weren't their "top of the line" stuff, thanks for the heads up.

It has over 4 inches of eye relief and is an 11 ounce tank
I mentioned that the rifle has a muzzle brake but... My post wasn't very clear; the .338 RUM has a superb Muzzle Brake; eye relief isn't a problem within reason: it kickuth < my 30-06.

Last edited:

GONIF

I see what your after ,I have a Weatherby Accumark in 338/378 WM with an IOR 4-16x50 on it . I use it for Elk .the longest shot I have made on game (Elk) was 430 across a small canyon . and I did harvest the elk ,but I do not take shots beond 400 yards any longer and prefer to stay at a max of 300 yards . but thats me .

I would look at/compare these for your intended purpose.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6-18x40-VX-II-Riflescope-P2584.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6-18x40-Mark-2-Riflescope-P7507.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-65-20x40-VX-3-EFR-Riflescope-P12728.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-65-20x40-VX-3-30mm-Riflescope-P12732.aspx

As you can see, they are all Leupolds. I Love my Leupold scopes. If the scope you want doesn't have Target Knobs, their customer shop can install them, and any reticle you want with any finish you want. Makes getting the scope that exactly fits your needs very easy.