Scope 1/4 VS 1/8 MOA Adjustments

N00b_Shooter

Are 1/4 MOA clicks sufficient for shooting accurately at 1000 yards? The guy at the shop is tryin to get me to switch to 1/8 MOA but i dont know if i wanna change. I wont EVER be shooting more then 1000 yards either.

Thanks in advance :)

Telgriff

1/8 MOA adjustments would only be useful for shorter ranges or for Benchrest where TINY adjustments make all the difference. Otherwise it would be double the clicks to get the same adjustment as a 1/4

From memory, long range shooters usually use 1/4 or 1/2 MOA adjustment.

lipadj46

From memory, long range shooters usually use 1/4 or 1/2 MOA adjustment.

1/4 MOA is faster to dial up (especially at shorter ranges) so maybe a real tactical shooter like a police or military sniper may find that advantageous. I believe Leupold M1 turrets are 1/8 MOA and M3 turrets are 1/4. 1/8 MOA can give you finer adjustments at longer ranges.

To the OP MOA at 1000 yards is 10.47" so 1/4 MOA clicks would give you 2.6" adjustments and 1/8 MOA would give you 1.3" adjustments. So go with what you think is best for you. Ask yourself, "will that extra 1.3" of fine bullet control be needed at 1000 yards"?

Alleykat

Let us know how you do @ 1000 yds! :) I varmint shoot out to about 400 yds. Never have been motivated to shoot at longer distances. Using fewer clicks doesn't make sense to me, at first glance. How about somebody explaining how moving the p.o.i. greater distances per click @ 1000 yds. translates into more precise shooting?

Last edited:

Slamfire

If you put a 1/4 MOA change on, will you see the group move?

I am a rotten long range shot. When you shoot at 1000 yards postion changes and poor wind calls will really show you just how awful you are.

With a scope, I hold off in the ten ring at 1000 yards, if the bullet blew left, I hold right. Its faster than cranking the knobs.

But I ain't going to break no National Records soon.

sneaky pete

Let's get a little practical here???

old Sneaky here: In Service Rifle competition @ 1000 yds the target is 8'X6' with a 24" in bull and the service rifle sights are 1/4 or 1/2 MOA. If ?? you Could Hold 1 MOA @ 1000 ??? you would be = to 10.0472". Your 1/8MOA click adjustment would = 1.32" @ 1000 and then what about those variables??. I've got a Weaver T36 Target W/a 1/8 MOA adj on my Target AR and @ 100 supported I sometimes manage to get all 10 shots "X"s with a 5/8" X ring.--Stick with the 1/4 MOA adj( actually 1/2MOA would be better). THANX--SNEAKY :)