Schultz & Larsen

bigbird34

Gentlemen ,I have the chance to but a S&L in 7x61 S&H ,(Sharps & Hart)it is a very clean,pretty gun (Model 60) ....no scope.I just don't know what it's worth ....any input would appreciated....TIA Bigbird34

Bigfatts

We had 1 in the old shop. One of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen. If I recall correctly we let it go around $600 because of the caliber. 7x61 is damn near impossible to find, and if you do it's expensive. Dies are also hard to find, and expensive. I would not buy a rifle in that caliber unless I planned to rebbl it, or could get it EXTREMELY cheap. Just me though.

Loader9

My brother has a rifle exactly like that. Before buying, make sure you have the barrel bore scoped. This is a fast 7mm hotrod and it's hard on barrels. You'll also have to step up to the premium bullets. Remington Core-Loks will come apart like a HP Match bullet even at 300 yds. It's not a cheap date to load for but his is a tack driver. The last available (keyword-available) brass I saw for it was dollars each. Maybe you can come across some that isn't that expensive but take a look at components as well as the rifle.
Value is what somebody is willing to pay for it. Considering it is an old chambering and handloading is the only option to shoot it, whoever is selling it is fishing in a small pond- not many bites. If you can pick it up cheap, I'd buy it just for the history of the round and bragging rights of owning one.

GeauxTide

The 7x61 is a click down from the 7mmRM in power to the tune of 100-150fps in equal length barrels. It's a little more efficient (bore vs capacity) than the Rem, but I don't think it would be any harder on barrels. As mentioned, it would be a good idea to be able to see the throat for any erosion.

dgludwig

If you are a serious reloader, I seem to recall discussions revolving around the rear-locking lugs of the S&L rifle and how said lock-up could cause premature stretching of the brass. I don't know how serious a problem this might be (if any); just passing on something (fact or folklore?) I recall hearing.
I do know that the S&L rifle was extremely well made and was never inexpensive.

bigbird34

S&L

Hello Gentlemen, After exhausting my search for info on the S&L, on the web,there is not much info out there on this rifle ....I got to hold and examine the rifle and it is in good condition,but used ,it is not like NIB,but I could care less ....the price for the gun NIB according to the "Bluebook" of rifles was $675.00 (Thats NIB) ,the seller wanted 2 times the high bluebook value ....I had to turn it down ,I just couldn't see spending 2 times the money for the S&L,if money was easier to come by these days ,I would have bought it anyway,the seller figured he had to much into the rifle and couldn't sell it for any less ....

What would you have done :confused:

Thanks Jim

Loader9

If the rifle was in near new condition, the most I would have offered was $500.00. Twice that amount, he's obviously either not really wanting to sell it or he's looking for an idiot. You made the correct decision.

lefteyedom

Knowing when to walk away is a every important skill.:D

In the end guns, like car, houses, and Rolex are just things. Their value is only what the market will bare. There will always be another deal.

bigbird34

800 pound Gorilla

This 800 pound Gorilla has been on my back a year now ,there is something about this rifle that I have to have ,you only live once,and your dead for a long time ,so with that said I bought it ....and I am thrilled I did ....I think I have a Leupold Varx 3 4.5x14x50mm for it ...It was love at first sight and a death of a friend that has told me it's ok to own the rifle ......

So be off with you 800 pound gorilla,and go pester some elde ....I'm free now ,well free untill the little lady finds out :D

JerryM

I was a superbly built gun. However, if I recall correctly it was too heavy to suit me, and the 7X61 S&H did not provide advantages over other 7MM mag cartridges. I would prefer almost any other 7MM from a .280 up.

Jerry

dgludwig

I would prefer almost any other 7MM from a .280 up.

Other than availability and cost (assuming you don't reload), what makes you prefer "almost any other 7MM" to the 7x61 S&H, at least in terms of ballistics? Just curious, I'm not trying to pick a fight. :)