School me on a Ruger Security Six

Vet66

So I was at my local gun shop this morning and, spotted a 4" Security Six
like new condition, sporting original and, target grips, no box etc. Price tag
was $450. I felt this was a bit high, super nice revolver but....what are your thoughts?

smee78

The Security Sixes are fun revolvers and are great shooters. I love a good 4" shooter and would not sell mine for that price. They have been slowly going up over the years but a good condition 4" is hard to find. Unless you are looking to run a ton of mags through the gun it should serve you well.

RetiredMajor

I own two of these guns, 2 3/4 inch and 4 inch barrels. They are excellent revolvers, strong and accurate. If I came across a like new 4 inch for that price, I would buy it just for the investment. These guns were "over built" and will last a lifetime or two. Major

Real Gun

I am glad I am a reloader, because my 4" Security Six is pretty harsh to shoot with full power ammo, and that boxed stuff is typically tamed down from the level of the earlier days of the cartridge.

Keep in mind how long the gun has been out of production. Getting parts, especially barrels, can be a no-go these days. I needed a barrel for a Service Six 38 Special and admit I at least found plenty of used, 357 magnum barrels for the Security Six.

Bayou

I bought a SS Security Six when Carter was in the WH. It's a phenomenal revolver. Six inch barrel on mine.

I've put thousands upon thousands of rounds through mine. If you picked up the revolver today, it would look and feel brand new. The cylinder still locks tight when cocked, and everything on this piece operates very smoothly.

Just a gem of a revolver all the way around.....Hard to see how it could've been improved on....

Bayou

Last edited:

turkeestalker

I do not own one... yet.
I honestly do not think that the price is out of line by much if any. At a local gun show last month I spotted a well used stainless 6" that the seller had $649 on... that was out of line.
My favorite LGS who prices more honestly than any I've ever visited has sold a couple that I'm aware of in the ball park of what yours is asking.
I would buy it without hesitation if it is truly LN condition.

loknload

I have a 4" Security Six and I found it a year ago a gun show. These things are really getting hard to find in my neck of the woods! Its in really good condition, no box or papers I paid $400. for it.
These things are built to last and it's fun to shoot! :cool:

Model12Win

You will never need a part for a Six series gun anyway. These aren't Colt Pythons, they are freaking tanks. They, along with the new GP100 series, are perhaps the most durable and rugged double action revolvers ever made.

Buy with confidence. :cool:

roaddog28

If the condition is as good as you say, I would buy the revolver. Six series revolvers by Ruger are the most underrated revolvers in my opinion. Stronger than a S&W K frame and the quality from Ruger is better than the current GP100 which is not finished as well as the Security Six. Even though Ruger does not support this revolver parts are available in the aftermarket. Remember, not much ever goes wrong with Security Sixes and they are built to outlast their owner.
Good luck.

Wishoot

I have a blued 2 3/4" Security Six I got in a trade a couple of years ago.

I absofreakinloutely love that little revolver. Built as tough as they come, easy to carry OWB and soaks up recoil as well as my 4" GP 100.

$400-$450 around these parts isn't too bad of a deal. I've seen people ask for more.

kilimanjaro

They are priced at $500 around here, and they sell for that.

You can chase fifty bucks around as many gun shops as you like for as many years as you like, but the bottom line is, it's a fair price and like-new condition as you say.

357 Python

Back in the late 1970s when I started getting into handguns because of my job (Armed Security Officer) I passed up a couple of opportunities to purchase a Ruger Security Six. I didn't know anything about them and only knew a bit about Colt and S&W. I thought the Ruger was an off brand that was not of the quality of Colt or S&W. Man was I wrong. That was a mistake I have regretted for a long time. Over the years I have come to learn just how much quality the Ruger truly has. If it is in good mechanical shape I would buy it at $450.

shootniron

You will never need a part for a Six series gun anyway. These aren't Colt Pythons, they are freaking tanks. They, along with the new GP100 series, are perhaps the most durable and rugged double action revolvers ever made.

Buy with confidence.

Apparently, you don't hang around on Ruger forums...these revolvers do have weaknesses.

And, even the old hands on the Ruger forums advise folks of the parts caveat...because they are needed frequently.

Just another case of an internet expert giving bad advice.

b.thomas

Quote:
Apparently, you don't hang around on Ruger forums...these revolvers do have weaknesses.

And, even the old hands on the Ruger forums advise folks of the parts caveat...because they are needed frequently.

Just another case of an internet expert giving bad advice.

:confused: Interesting! I log on to the Ruger website daily and never heard of what you wrote? If anything quite the opposite.
Possibly I'm on the Wrong Ruger Website??:rolleyes:

Homerboy

What parts on a Six need frequent replacing? I'm a member of the Ruger forum and never see any mentions of that.

Matter of fact, unless you beat a gun to death, what part of ANY revolver frequently needs replacing? Cause I've never had to replace any parts on ANY of my revolvers.

The Six series were great guns and Ruger tough. I love my Service Six. L frame toughness in an K frame size. And if it DOES break, Ruger will take care of you. I've seen posts on forums where Ruger replaced a Six with a new gun of your choice, either at no cost or at very low cost.

amd6547

I owned a four inch stainless Security Six for a few years, and it was a fine revolver.
But I have to say I much prefer the 3" GP100 I own now. It just seems a better revolver in every way.
If I was buying today, and I could pick up either an Security Six or a GP100 for close to the same price, I'd take the GP every time.