SCCY vs HiPoint

MTT TL

So I have noticed that SCCY pistols have dropped below the HiPoint price point in bargain hand guns. Other than the fact that the SCCY pistols are much better looking, smaller and lighter I am trying to make some meaningful comparisons between the two.

From anyone who has shot or owned both to which do you give the edge? What are the advantages and deciding factors for choosing one over the other?

Bill DeShivs

SCCYs are copies of the Keltec P11- a well designed, locked breech gun that is very small for it's caliber. The grip frame is plastic, the receiver is aluminum, and the slide assembly is steel. The guns are D/A.

The HiPoint pistols are die cast from a zinc alloy, with a steel barrel. Using this lower-strength alloy requires much more massive parts. These guns are blowback-operated and single action.

TruthTellers

The SCCY triggers are some of the worst I've ever felt. I was interested in them years back, saw one in an lgs, wanted to give it a feel and everything looked and felt good until I pull... attempted to pull the trigger and I did it several times wondering why it wasn't breaking until I realized that you had to pull it FURTHER to get to the break.

The pull was so long that by the time the trigger broke, my hand was hurting. Add recoil to it and it was a no go. I have never looked at them since.

The Hi Points tho I have shot and once you learn the trigger, you can be effective with them and they're not painful or uncomfortable to shoot.

MTT TL

I did notice on the SCCY website they advertise a "Smooth, effortless, consistent 9lb trigger pull" which seems to me to be oxymoronic. HiPoint triggers seem more like a stiff BB gun.

cc-hangfire

““...From anyone who has shot or owned both to which do you give the edge? What are the advantages and deciding factors for choosing one over the other?”

Yep, I own both. As always, choosing for what?
HiPoint is heavy, big & not very high capacity for a single stack. Generally reliable. Stiff trigger, but it is striker fired (meaning, shorter travel than a double action). It works as a vehicle gun or hone gun, but isn’t well suited for carry due to size& weight.

SCCY has good capacity for the relatively small size, and it is relatively light as well. The long and heavy (compared to modern competitors) trigger takes training. If you’re comfortable with DA revolver triggers, you’ll be good to go. Otherwise you’ll join the ranks of the whiners.

If you’re comfortable buying used, S&W Shields and M&P’s and Springfield XD’s can be found for not much more. Those are better handguns - I’d be perfectly comfortable getting one of those used.

Hope that’s some help.

MTT TL

I see the SCCY for $125 on line. The cheapest I have ever seen a Shield was around $240. I don't need one for myself but was looking at giving one to a rising 21 year old relative as a first pistol.

lapetrarca53

Had a Hi Point early on. No complaints other than being big and fugly. Reliable and accurate. Still have a 9mm carbine that's a ball to shoot. It to is accurate, reliable and not quite as fugly.

Recently purchased a SCCY CPX-3. It is quickly becoming a favorite. The DAO trigger takes some getting used to but I find, after 850 rounds down range, I'm getting a pretty good handle on it as my accuracy has noticeably improved. As someone mentioned earlier, if you're OK with DA revolvers, this trigger shouldn't be much of a problem.

Not a single problem with this gun. Another 150 rounds and it will be eligible for my EDC rotation.

I'm going to pick up a 9mm CPX-2 to complete the set. That is until they (hopefully) release a version in .45acp.

It's short money for an absolutely fantastic little gun.

DMK

If you’re comfortable buying used, S&W Shields and M&P’s and Springfield XD’s can be found for not much more. Those are better handguns - I’d be perfectly comfortable getting one of those used.
Good advise. The Shield especially is an excellent affordable pistol. The S&W SD9 is another.

The SCCY and Hipoint are acceptable last resort guns for someone who can't in any way afford something better, but want a self defense weapon. I'd say 99.9% of us on this forum aren't that person. In fact I'd think most of us already have multiple weapons suitable for self defense or at least can trade in an extra hunting rifle or target 22 for decent one.

I see the SCCY for $125 on line. The cheapest I have ever seen a Shield was around $240. I don't need one for myself but was looking at giving one to a rising 21 year old relative as a first pistol.

I would not recommend an SCCY for someone's first pistol, just like I would not recommend a DA only J-frame revolver as a first pistol.

Small double action handguns like this with a heavy trigger and short sight radius very difficult to shoot with any accuracy. I call them experts weapons.

Giving them to someone who is not yet competent with the fundamentals of grip, trigger control and sight alignment/sight picture is a recipe for a lot of frustration.

I do believe everyone should have a gun like this to practice with after they have mastered the fundamentals (It gives you the advanced lessons on the fundamentals and teaches humility :) ), but not to learn them on or initially develop their skills with.

Last edited:

TruthTellers

The SCCY triggers are some of the worst I've ever felt. I was interested in them years back, saw one in an lgs, wanted to give it a feel and everything looked and felt good until I pull... attempted to pull the trigger and I did it several times wondering why it wasn't breaking until I realized that you had to pull it FURTHER to get to the break.

The pull was so long that by the time the trigger broke, my hand was hurting. Add recoil to it and it was a no go. I have never looked at them since.

The Hi Points tho I have shot and once you learn the trigger, you can be effective with them and they're not painful or uncomfortable to shoot.
I want to update what I said here. Between the current 9mm Hi Point and the SCCY, I would probably go with the SCCY. The Hi Point I shot was the .40 and that has a longer grip and slide, so compared to the 9mm it was probably easier to shoot accurately.

The new 9mm Hi Point they're coming out with, the YC9, that one will have a 10 round magazine and they say they're going to be making extended mags for it too. Because of all that, I'd go YC9 over SCCY.

MTT TL

So I went to the LGS to handle and the SCCY trigger is even worse than some are describing it. It isn't just long it is quite likely the longest trigger I have ever felt on a pistol.

While shopping however I saw a H&K VP9 gently used for $299. I was so shocked at the price I felt like I had to buy it. It was more than I wanted to spend but H&K.... So between the SCCY, HiPoint and H&K there was a clear winner. :)

Forte S+W

Personally, I think the Ruger EC9s is the best low cost, single stack, concealed carry pistol currently on the market. The EC9s retails for about $249, but they can be had for under $200 if you shop around.

My brother owns a Ruger LC9s (which is just an EC9s with a nicer finish and dovetailed sights) and it's a really sweet shooter. The trigger is very light with a short yet audible reset, the safety is very positive, and the action is nice and smooth.

As a low cost, single stack concealed carry pistol, it can't be beat. Honestly, I'd hate to sound like a shill, but it costs $249 or less and is offered by Ruger, a household name in the American firearms industry which is widely known for building robust firearms and having excellent customer service.

TunnelRat

Right now S&W has a $50 rebate on the Shield. The gen 1 can still be found for ~$250 online. Combined I think that's a great deal.

TruthTellers

Personally, I think the Ruger EC9s is the best low cost, single stack, concealed carry pistol currently on the market. The EC9s retails for about $249, but they can be had for under $200 if you shop around.

My brother owns a Ruger LC9s (which is just an EC9s with a nicer finish and dovetailed sights) and it's a really sweet shooter. The trigger is very light with a short yet audible reset, the safety is very positive, and the action is nice and smooth.

As a low cost, single stack concealed carry pistol, it can't be beat. Honestly, I'd hate to sound like a shill, but it costs $249 or less and is offered by Ruger, a household name in the American firearms industry which is widely known for building robust firearms and having excellent customer service.
If we're talking cheap CCW pistols in 9mm, the LC9s and EC9s were at the top of my list years ago and still are high up, but lately I've been thinking that new Mossberg is worth the extra money. I never knew I liked the idea of a crossbolt safety on a pistol before.

Once the size of the pistol becomes a doublestack sub compact or Sig P365 and clones, I start to question if 9mm is the better option. Not writing 9mm off tho, having 12 rds in that size of a pistol is great, but I'm really good with my Glock 27. Originally I was going to get a 9mm barrel for it, but decided I shot .40 so well it wasn't necessary.

That's why I prefer single stacks over the P365; they are significantly smaller and it's not like 9 round extended mags aren't available.

MTT TL

I am seeing the S&W Shield back in the sub $250 range JIT for Christmas. This is more often compared to the LC9 than either the HiPoint or SCCY which are currently running half the price of the LC9.

mellow_c

MTT,

If you just want to buy something because it’s different and fun to shoot at the range. There is no such thing as a bad firearm, as long as it works.

I’ve shot the standard Hi point C9 and I’ve shot the SCCY 9mm.

Any of the new SCCY pistols will work, that includes the CPX-1 and CPX-2. Originally, the CPX-1 had issues, I think due to improper machining (?) and they were quickly gaining a reputation for being terrible firearms due to horrible reliability. They figured out what was going wrong. Fixed it. And now all current production guns work perfectly.

I would get the CPX-2, the one without the safety. Because the safety on the CPX-1 really gets in the way and is easy to unintentionally activate.

And yeah, after the rebate. . .For $125 online before shipping and background check. You can not go wrong.

I also agree that although the trigger is long. It IS smooth and easy to use if you like long double action triggers. I think if nothing else, it would provide you with good practice for shooting similar guns. If you have the basics of marksmanship worked out (basically saying, you don’t flinch or throw your shots) it’s not at all difficult to learn the trigger on an SCCY and shoot it well and enjoy it.

The Hi point C9 is a good gun too. Big, reliable, not difficult to shoot well once you learn the trigger.

Both of these guns are enjoyable, reliable, and priced very well.

I would chose the SCCY over the Hi point for the fact that it covers more bases in my opinion than a C9. It looks better. Holds an extra round. Is smaller. Doesn’t weigh so much.

It really comes down to what are you trying to achieve with this purchase...

An enjoyable range gun? Yes to both.

An enjoyable gun because it’s NICE and easy to shoot well? Not so much to either, but kind of somewhat to both.

Something you can easily carry? Yes SCCY, no C9.

Something that works and is cheap? Yes to both.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

If you are just looking for a good deal on a nice gun, just to shoot and enjoy, you might be happier spending a little more money and getting something used. But if you just want to get something for as little money as possible, that will work, and still have the potential for enjoyment provided you are a competent shooter, then you can’t beat the SCCY or the Hi point C9!

Last edited:

mellow_c

Also, the shield and lc9 are good too. More expensive, but nicer. Better ergonomics, a little less work to shoot well. Good options for carry, still enjoyable at the range. Any full sized 9mm will typically be “more enjoyable and practical” for anything other than concealed carry though.

It all depends on what you already do and don’t have and what kind of bases your trying to cover and how much your willing or wanting to spend.

Ibmikey

Jreeys, I did take an SCCY for use as a “truck gun” and it serves quite well in that capacity riding in my truck every day and being shot often. The trigger is not nice but I do not shoot it like a target pistol, point and fire it usually is right on the money.