Sccy 9mm... Great buy or hype.

teejhot.40cal

My buddy is thinking about getting his wife a 9mm and they are looking at sccy. I have to be honest, I'm a gun snob and skeptical about a sub $300 9mm. But the more I read, the more it's growing on me. I have read about the excellent customer service and the tough trigger pull. But I've read on here that a lot of people swear by them. Is this correct or just hype?

Pahoo

Very serviceable and reasonable !!!

Is this correct or just hype?
By my measure, you are correct and have a pretty good handle on it. Might add, that at our last GS, they are selling for $230.00. I too, do not like the trigger pull but that's about it. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

marine6680

Some people have problems, others do not. The company will fix any issues if you do have a problem.

Double check the magazine springs, there was reports of them being installed backwards, but that was early this year.

I had a little break in hiccup or two at first with mine, infrequent jams that cleared up, and rounds with primers that are made with a thin cup would have pierced primers that caused light strikes when the piece of primer stuck in the firing pin hole. After a while, the trigger bar and parts wore in, and the trigger would not reset. A little investigation found the problem, and a little work with a stone, made everything worked as it should.

The fiance hated shooting it, the recoil is very brisk. Standard pressure rounds kick like ++P... It was to be her pistol, so we sold it as she would never practice with it enough to be a viable carry piece. I shot it just to have a use for it.

dsk

The heavy trigger pull is necessary to ensure that the SCCY's tiny little hammer will fire off a round. Even then, some imported ammo with hard primers may give misfires. Otherwise it's like most cheap compact nines. Once you find ammo it likes and get used to its quirks it'll save the day if you do your part. The ~9# trigger on a 15oz pistol takes a lot of practice to manage, but I'd rather have reliable ignition than a light trigger any day. I think we all should be glad that in this day and age you can find something decent to protect yourself and your family with even if you're of very limited means. Of course I suspect a lot of folks buying these already have a safe full of expensive guns and simply want something dirt-cheap that they can abuse.

lamarw

I happen to like mine. I bought an old used one named SKY. I paid very little money for it. I happened to contact SCCY about buying another magazine. SCCY immediately offered me a brand new pistol of my choice with two magazines for the old one. It cost me nothing.

SCCY offers a life of the pistol warranty with no questions ask. They will pay shipping both ways and you do not have to be the original owner.

It eats my handloads with no problems, and I have never had a failure with it. I would guess I have about a thousand rounds through it.

There is an article back in Feb 2013 in Guns & Ammo where it got a good review by Mr. Sweeney. There is also an SCCY Forum where you can go and read what other owner's think of theirs.

It gets a thumbs from this owner. :)

If it matters, it is made in the USA (Daytona Beach, FL).

Trooper Joe

Bought a two tone last summer and it has never hiccupped.

Had a chance to go through the Sccy factory last January and am now really sold on these guns. I have a lot of other higher price guns but very few of them had 0 issues right out of the box like this Sccy.

I would trust mine for an EDC gun any time.

Trooper Joe

skizzums

I have owned about 9 handguns. the sccy was the worst one I have ever owned. I don't like to bash gun companies and I have heard they have made significant changes since my purchase. I bought the sccy gen 1 because I wanted a safety, it was purchases about 14 months ago. I liked the looks, the size, the INCREDIBLE accuracy(I have yet t be as accurate wit any 9mm since that tiny gun) and of course the price point as awesome. those are the pro's.

my first trip out, 7 out of 10 rounds would light strike, the ones that didn't would stovepipe. trip one back to the factory, they were kind and quick and shipped right back to my house. 2nd trip out, 7 out 10 were light strikes, several misfeeds, back to factory for the second time(please note, I tried many ammos). back to the factory, again, courteous and quick. so my light strikes were "mosty fixed, still had one out of every 2-3 mags, but the rear sight fell out into the dirt somewhere and the safety broke. sccy was courteous enoughto send out a new safety and and extra set and a new rear sight. had a couple more range trips, safety broke again, still had occasional jams, light strikes were fixed though. after about 200 more rounds, the internal ejector broke, they sent out a new one, but they had a weird sized roll pin that I couldn't get out even after trying to machine a correct sized one. another trip to the factory.

sold immediately after getting back. so this was the gen one and I understand that the gen 2 has no safety which was a he problem and they have fixed the light strikes. but even with the being very kind and helpful, I was pretty ticked that they didn't just offer to upgrade my gun after so many problems. I owned the gun for several months but it was either broke down or in the factory more than it was in service. also, the pins kept walking out of the gun, lke within a few shots I would have to push them back in, the owner told me to put them in a vice and slightly warp the pins to fix the prob....well okay, it worked, but geez. I was pretty bummed about the whole deal, I think I deserved a free upgrade, a couple mags or something.

just my 2 cents.....I really hate to bash a gun company that is still on the start up side, but I feel that my experience needs to be shared so people can make an informed purchase and hopefully handle their purchase differently if it ends up being a dud like mine. I surely hope they have redesigned all the flaws out and I have read many good reviews on the gun. I can also vouch for superb accuracy especially compared to its kel tec competition.

Astocks2622

I recently tried the Sccy along with the xds in 9mm, the sig p938, & my shield. of the group, the sccy was BY FAR the harshest in recoil. it was accurate 7 reliable. I ended up with the Shield & love it.

Ibmikey

I purchased a CPX 2 strictly for a truck pistol, because it is so readily available it has been shot several hundred times by a variety of shooters. General consensus is favorable but the amazing thing is there has not been any malfunctions at all.....zero. The pistol is well made and tight with a DAO trigger that is acceptable for the type of firearm it is.
The SCCY will never replace my other pistols, big or small, but the big motivator to purchase was the price, finding it is a quality little 9mm is also a BIG plus.

Last edited:

9x19

SCCY offers a number of reverse engineered KelTecs... I'd just buy the original and call it good.

I'd suggest your friend take a look a the Bersa BP9CC. Not much more money, but IMO, a better pistol.

lamarw

We all have our believes and opinions based upon our personal experiences. I had a pleasant experience with SCCY and with my Beretta Tomcat (Reference another active post on this forum). I had a terrible experience with Bersa.

I understand the Gen I SCCY had both product and management problems. They have changed both with the Gen II model. You do have a choice with the Model CPX-1 with a safety or a CPX-2 without a safety. I do not find the recoil harsh with the CPX-2. Of course, I shoot a lot of larger caliber handguns.

Trooper Joe

From "9x19"....

....SCCY offers a number of reverse engineered KelTecs... I'd just buy the original and call it good. ....

Go through the factory and you will realize this is not true. The Gen 2 Sccy's are absolutely great. Couple this with their lifetime warranty that goes with the gun no matter who owns it, and they really do lead their market nich.

Trooper Joe

Pahoo

The right tool for the right job !!!

Not to go into any detail but suffice to say that I own what some call, high end nines. Granted, to compare the SCCY to one of them is just not right. All my nines serve a purpose and as stated, this one fills an important niche. It's well worth your money and time and I would trust my life with one. ..... ;)

Be Practical and;
Be Safe !!!

Bill DeShivs

The Sccy is most definitely a Keltec copy. I do know the early models were... well, um,....junk.
I have no experience with the later models. I hear they are OK.
Regardless, I'll stick with my original Keltecs.

teejhot.40cal

I have to ask Plouff, I watched your video and Iraqiveterans video and I was wondering if you knew what happened when he sent it in to the warranty

mellow_c

Handled a new one in a store...

My overall impression of it was good. I thought the grip was a little too big for such a small gun, but it was comfortable. Then I tried the trigger and found it t be a deal breaker! It has one of the heaviest triggers I've pulled in my life, and I'm not much of a trigger snob.

If it wasn't for that monstrous trigger pull I might have bought one, same opinion from my girlfriend.

On the other hand, people here are talking about how accurate they are, so maybe the trigger pull doesn't have as much as a negative influence on shootability as I had assumed. I've never fired one.

I'd like to shoot one, but I'm not sure that I want to buy one just to see how I like it, especially when I have other guns that fill the same roll, like my Ruger lc9 or even my glock 26.

Last edited:

PT-92

Not hype in the least. To me , they essentially copied Kel-Tec's design (looks a lot like my P11) and produced a truly utilitarian-like handgun...It's a Blue Collar, no-frills gun with the one sole purpose of going "bang" when needed absent breaking the bank (clearly not a range-gun). I even watched a YT video that torture tested it and it seemed quite durable as well to be sure (reassuring in that when one looks at the price the erroneous conclusion to many is "you get what you pay for" which is true in many cases absent this particular one).

Not to be redundant, but as others have mentioned it may be the best (always subjective) offering available in its price-class...

Happy Holidays!