Scatch removal off of P99

Avid Concealer

Hey guys, yes I certaily realize that guns will be scratched with use and they will wear down over time. I bought my Walther P99 back in February and I have kept it in perfect condition ever since (except for normal wear) while also having fired over 3600 rounds through it (actually 3691) hehe! I keep an excel file ;) Anyway, yesterday I noticed that I had a small scratch (sort of gold in color) on the blueing of the front of the slide right by the Walther logo. I don't know how it got there. I only lay it on cloth and I just bought an Uncle Mike's holster for it but I don't see that it got on there from there. My friend says that it looks like it isn't actually into the blueing but I can't get it off with water, that's all that I have to try with right now but it's driving me insane. Any suggestions as to what I can use? Safe chemicals? Scrubbing materials? A bible? TIA.

~aC

Handy

Sounds like a mark from some brass, rather than an actual scratch. Copper bore solvent and a brush will likely get it off.

Avid Concealer

Thanks, I'll try that out, I cleaned it today as I usually do after I shoot it and it got a decent bit better, but it's still there. Thanks man ; )

fanoblack

Just to let you know, the Walther isn't blued. It has a Tenifer Matte Finish, which is different. Blueing is like staining wood, while Tenifer is a coating. A very hard, and durable coating. Just an informative tid bit.

Good luck with your spot, I too have had the same thing. Just use a little cleaning fluid on it next time you break it down. Took me a couple of goes, but I got it eventually.

fanoblack

Handy

Actually, bluing is a form of surface corrosion. Tennifer is a type of heat treatment, usually combined with a layer of surface corrosion.

Neither is a coating or a stain.