SCAR NRCH vs RCH

'88Scrat

Title says it all really.

I'm gonna invest in a 16s to compliment the 17s I already have. If FN ever figures out the punctured primer issue with the 6.5CM SCAR 20 I'll add one of those as well but we're not there yet. I was wondering if it'd be worth it to get the newer version with the NRCH. After some internet sleuthing I now know just enough to be dangerous.

From what I gather the NRCH version is slightly smoother shooting, has an ambi charging handle and obviously the charging handle doesn't move.

But man, the design seems overly complicated. Just seems like there are just that many more moving parts complicating the process.

For what it's worth I've never really had a problem with the RCH on my 17s. I'm kinda leaning towards finding a lightly used or unfired 16s with RCH (which are actually significantly less common now with the NRCH on the market) but want some other opinions.

Thoughts?

chadio

Is the charge handle reversible on the reciprocating one?

Which side do you prefer to charge?

I find the FN SCAR interesting, my friend Dale is obsessed with them, hope he gets one someday.... so I can try it :D

Willie Lowman

I've owned a 16s for about ten years. The reciprocating charging handle will teach you a hard fast lesson about thumb placement.

I'm curious about the new nonreciprocating design. I haven't seen one in person to give an opinion on it.

'88Scrat

I keep the charging handle on the left side of the rifle. I've always preferred (I'm not sure what it's actually called...) what I would consider a half grip on a VFG. As such my off hand is never really close to the charging handle, so it's never been an issue.

If you search for a disassembly video of the new guns you'll find there are now 2-3 new parts to keep track of when you take rifle apart.

Such is my concern.