SCAR 17 & Larue PredatAR in .308 Observations

Crow Hunter

This isn't a real review. I am not qualified to do one, but here are some observations that I noted yesterday when I got to shoot a SCAR 17 and a Larue in rapid succession.

My brother owns both and he really sucks at sighting things in, so I usually do it for him.

He picked up the SCAR 17 on Friday of last week. I had previously sighted in his Troy BUIS on the Larue before but he had recently acquired a US Optics 1.8X10 he wanted me to set up for him.

The SCAR was fired with both iron sights and my old Trijicon TR24 with a green triangle.

I didn't get to weigh anything or really run any drills. Just bag them and get them on paper at 43 yards so that he could finish sighting them it at the 400 yard range in Paris, TN.

He had the same AAC Blackout Flash suppressors on both.

I did fire about 80 or so rounds with more out of the SCAR than the Larue.

Function:

Both functioned flawlessly with Portugese surplus M80 ball.

The SCARs trigger was horrible though. I kept thinking that I had the safety on. I always got a "surprise break" though. It was usually me saying. "Is the damn safety still on again?" My brother who was standing to my left "spotting" for me would say, nope it's off and me saying "Is this thing ever going to go.... *BLAM* Never mind...":mad:

We actually had a Colt 6940 that he just got in trade that we function checked at the same time. The factory trigger was MUCH nicer on it than the SCAR.

The Larue was a dream on the trigger though. Geissle rocks!

Accuracy:

It was definitely harder to touch bullet holes with the SCAR than it was with the Larue but in all fairness the trigger was MUCH better on the Larue and I have alot of trouble being consistent with a triangle reticle. But if I did my part both of them would shoot cloverleafs. (Yes, I know, it was only 43 yards...):(

Weight:

It was hard to get a good judgement since they had different optics and the Larue has an 18" bbl. But the SCAR was definitely better balanced in my opinion. I think with a 16" tube the Larue would be better balanced than the SCAR.

Other:

The SCAR started to be noticeably warm after just a magazine. This warmth was felt on the lower rail and got warmer as you moved closer to the junction of the mag well/upper receiver. We didn't shoot any extended strings to see if it continued to the point it became uncomfortable. I have never noticed this with his SCAR 16.

The Larue wasn't really warm at all.

My final analysis:

I did do a couple of standing 5 round rapid fire strings after just to see what it was like. :cool:

While it was fun, I wouldn't be able to do it "seriously". I was all over the paper and it wasn't fun to hold all that steel up and fight the recoil. I watched my brother do it 1st and he almost looked like one of those drinking birds and he is taller/stronger than me. We did the same thing with the Colt 6940 and there was no comparison.

I am giving up my dreams of the Colt SP901 and I am selling all my Radway Green & Port surplus to my brother. Heavy rifles and getting smacked around just isn't that much fun anymore and I can't afford the time and ammo to get proficient with it and use it effectively.

Besides, I can always go shoot his. :D