Scan requests for posters

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I'd like to design posters explaining the lack of reciprocity for CCW permis and also the possibility to becoming a felon by crossing an arbitrary line ("One step to the left, you would be a felon". For that, I'd appreciate high-resolution scans of maps showing borders areas between Indiana and Illinois (Chicago area), Maryland/Virginia/Wash DC and, perhaps, California, incl. LA and Nevada. No sharpening needed, just the biggest scan you can do.

If no one has a map handy, I'll just request one from the tourism beauraus of thos estates...but that would take time.

mjustice

How about the ulltimate slaps in the face?

Pennsylvania and New Jersey (or New York)
Vermont and New York (or Massachusetts)
New Hampshire and Massachusetts

MJ

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Those would work. Drop me a line explaining the specific issues involved. Huge email attachments are OK (very high quality JPEGs preferred). Or, if you have a map handy, could you mail one to me?

Oleg Volk
4958 Edmondson Pk G38
Nashville, Tn 37211

dZ

just remember that maps are copyrighted works of art and
most publishers are very protective of their art

some map companies have been know to put false roads in their maps to prove ownership

mjustice

USGS maps are property of the United States Geological Survey. Oleg's use of those maps for his art would be a "fair use".

From the USGS Website:
13. I've noticed the little registered trademark symbol in "The National Atlas of the United States of America®" Does this mean that there are restrictions on using National Atlas data and maps?

No. Nearly all information collected by the Federal Government is in the public domain and use of data produced under this project will not be restricted in any way. Both "National Atlas of the United States®" and "The National Atlas of the United States of America® " are registered trademarks of the United States Department of the Interior. The USGS has been publishing National Atlas products since 1970 and has simply taken action to trademark this term to incorporate all new graphic and electronic products of The National Atlas of the United States of America®.

MJ

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Use of a fraction of a map as one of several poster elements would be fair use, no matter who holds the copyright to the whole. Same way that I can place a copyrighted book or design into a still life and add other objects tot he composition, then take a photo.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
OK, I got the poster figured out. I'll have a map pictured at an angle, as if it was the floor. I'll add a person standing on the "shall issue" or "no permit required" side of the border (both sides labeled) and have a caption to the effect of "one step to the left, and she would be a felon".