SBR Dilemma (.223 or .300 Blk)

shooter_john

I plan to celebrate the repeal of Alabama's SBR prohibition shortly after Christmas this year, and I now find myself in a bit of a dilemma. What I do know is that my SBR will be based on the AR platform. What I don't know is what cartridge I want to go with. I already have a .308 suppressor, so I'm good there either way I go.

The main reason I am leaning slightly to the .300 Blk side of things is that I just might hunt with this rifle or better yet my kids might end up hunting with it, as my oldest son is now 5. (No I will not be hunting with the suppressor). A good reason to stick with .223 is the abundance of loaded ammo and components that I already have on hand. So, I ask those of you with more experience with SBR's than me to talk me out of one or the other. Most likely I'll end up buying a barrel in both cartridges at some point seeing that all other rifle components are interchangeable, but which one do I want to start with?
Thanks!

shooter_john

Hunting with a suppressor is not something that we the residents of Alabama are allowed to do.:(

SBR's just became legal this year, maybe we can hunt with suppressors next year.

snipecatcher

I love my 10" 300 BLK. I can see no reason for a short barrel .223 when the BLK works so much better, especially if you are going to be using a suppressor or hunting.

RAnb

I would start with the BLK as it is made to cycle the AR action with sub or super sonic ammo. I have uppers for 223 and 300 whisper.

Ranb