SBR bullpup clarification

SR420

With regards to M14/M1A bullpup conversions meeting the NFA overall length (OAL) requirement of 26.0"

The official measurement is taken from the end of the butt stock to the crown of the barrel.
The 16.25" SOCOM barrel renders an OAL of 24.50".

Unless you want to add the 14.0 ounce, 2.0" factory butt stock spacer,
the 16.25" barrel does NOT meet NFA OAL requirements in the Rogue.

Bottom line:

Choosing an M14/M1A with an 18 or 22 inch barrel is the very BEST choice for your bullpup conversion.
An 18.0" barreled action in the Rogue renders a legal OAL of 26.25" when measured butt stock to crown.

A 22.0" barrel is the ONLY legal length for residents of California.

dogtown tom

SR420 The official measurement is taken from the end of the butt stock to the crown of the barrel.
Actually it's to the end of the muzzle including any permanently attached muzzle device (like a flash hider or muzzle break)

SR420

Pinning & welding the gas lock & muzzle device to the barrel is not a viable option in this case.

skizzums

I was under the impression that simply doing a spot weld or even solder that could esily be removed would count as a permanent attachment. could be wrong. but I understand on a weapon of value like an m14, most would not want to do that on their firearm

4thPoint

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

Per the ATF.pdf

Tucker 1371

Wow, THANK YOU for posting this SR420, as you know I am considering this stock myself. Does the bbl length of the scout model M1A include the length of the comp or is it 18 without the comp? I have an SEI Coast Guard Comp on mine which is a bit shorter than the stock brake.

SR420

Thank you, 4thPoint

Tucker 1371 Wow, THANK YOU for posting this SR420, as you know I am considering this stock myself. Does the bbl length of the scout model M1A include the length of the comp or is it 18 without the comp? I have an SEI Coast Guard Comp on mine which is a bit shorter than the stock brake.

Tucker, you are good-to-go with the Scout's 18.0" barrel. The 18.0" exceeds the minimum length without any muzzle device attached, so you can whatever muzzle device that suits you.

Enjoy!

SR420

1/4 inch over minimum

An 18.0" barreled action (Bush, Scout, MK14) in the Rogue renders a legal OAL of 26.25" without a muzzle device.