• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Sayonara sticky?

grymster2007

How 'bout a sticky for members wanting to say goodbye?

Maybe they're heading off to Iraq or Afghanistan, or they'll be on extended travel and won't have access to the forum for a long period. Maybe they're angry and want to express their feelings in a parting post. Maybe they know they'll be dead soon and want to say goodbye to their friends here.

As egocentric as I come across, I do often wonder what happened to a given member who just stopped posting. :)

I understand some of the problems with this from Staff's standpoint, but whaddya say?

rantingredneck

Maybe they're angry and want to express their feelings in a parting post.

I agree with the other reasons, but this one ^ just seems to be asking for trouble :D.

I have wondered at times what happened to certain members when they stop posting.

Anyone heard from Tourist lately? He and I had our differences on some issues but I always valued his perspective. Haven't seen him around here or THR for months.

Wildalaska

I sort of join this, where are the cool guys like Tourist, Blues Bear, The Blues man, GoSlash:confused:

WildsameoldfacesAlaska ™

Evan Thomas

The devil is making me do this

Could it be a place to post suggestions to members we wish would say goodbye?

I s'pose not... :p

grymster2007

I guess we can only wonder what happened to most, but OTOH I'm sure we'll learn the fate of some on the evening news! :) What do you think Ken?

Evan Thomas

pax said:
https://www.slightlymorbid.com/

There is nothing so odd that the internet won't provide.

That is astonishing. I wish I'd thought of it first -- I could use a good get-rich-slowly scheme right about now... ;)

So, what we really want is a sticky where all the people who never post any more would post to say how they're doing. Hmmm... I think I see a problem here. :D

10 Beers

There are lots of computers overseas, if you're angry call your mommy,if you're dying then I'm genuinely sad but want first crack at your collection. As for the ones that disappeared, they were the sane ones. They just got in thier truck and left. A forum for whiners, If you build it they will come.

Personally I don't see anything good coming out of such a thread.

Especially given that most people who leave here never get the chance to post a see you later message, if you get my drift...

grymster2007

I guess I’m guilty of assuming that a lot of members that leave, do so of their own accord.

Speaking of members leaving; after what I saw on here at ~1:00 this morning (and my wife almost saw), maybe whoever suggested that post count should mean something, is on to something. How bout “Senior Member” requires 500 or 1000 posts and posting images directly here, requires “Senior" status? Maybe then, the people posting pics would more likely be stakeholders in the integrity of this board.

I think you're right that a lot of people register here, participate for awhile, and then quit coming.

But my guess is that it's simply because they fade away, and it's not really a conscious decision on their part.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Mike Irwin said:
Especially given that most people who leave here never get the chance to post a see you later message, if you get my drift...
Mike Irwin said:
people register here, participate for awhile, and then quit coming.

But my guess is that it's simply because they fade away, and it's not really a conscious decision on their part.

Yep, it's a nice idea but I'd guess that the two instances above represent 95+% of no longer active participants. Meaning that the thread would be pretty bare.