Saw a Springfield 03 today

It was very early, Ser #228*** and was probably made in 1905. It had the ladder type rear sight and someone told the owner that it was a sniper rifle. I saw no signs that a telescope was ever mounted on it. The stock itself was from Remington and it had the Lt. Col's (FJA) inspection mark on it. It also had a stamped trigger guard assembly as well as a stamped front sling swivel and stacking swivel. So, it was a pre-WW I receiver with some WW II parts. Bore looked rough but it could have been gease that hadn't been cleaned off. There were pits on the receiver which suggests that it has been refinished. You could barrel see the "Armory or "Model" part of "Model 1903" on the receiver.

Paul B.

I'm wondering if you rifle isn't one of the 1903's built by Remington during the early part of WW2. Remington made the 1903's but submitted changes that Washington approved of and then adopted it as the 1909A3. That's what I think you have. I believe Remington started with their own series of serial numbers for those rifle which would explain the rather low serial number. Look at the muzzle area of the rifle. There should be a flaming bomb add a two digit number, probably 41,42 and possibly 43. I have a 1903A3 with a "43" stamped 4 groove barrel and IIRC, the transition from 03 to 03A3 was around late 1942 to early 1943.
Anyway, that's what I'm thinking.
Paul B.

kcub

I had a Springfield converted to left hand and rechambered to 9.3x64 Brenneke. This is the German equivalent to .375 H&H magnum but non belted and .30-06 length. A perfect African rifle with which I killed a bull eland with one shot. With solids its capable of taking anything in the world including elephant. RWS still makes it.

The Springfield is an underrated controlled round action in the same class as the Mauser and pre '64 Winchester model 70.

No, it's not a Remington made rifle. You can see the "U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1903" on the recevier. That it has a Remington S stock suggests that at some point the rifle was rebuilt by some armorer. Recall that the Army or the armorer didn't care about collectibility. Fix them fast and get them back in the hands of the soldiers.

Jim Watson

Obviously refurbished sometime after 1943 to have a Remington 03 stock and A3 stamped parts available, but before the general fear of low number receivers. Perhaps fixed up and put directly into war reserve.

Can you read the barrel date?

T. O'Heir

The year of manufacture for serial number 228,000 is 1906. No sniper rifles in 1906. Someone is confused. Possibly thinking any bolt action must be a 'sniper's' rifle.
The Springfield is a Mauser action.

Slamfire

This is a faux Marine Sniper 03, it is reasonably close to an original

This is an original A4 sniper rifle, WW2 era. No scope on top, no rings, but the Redfield base is original.

Didn't see a date stamp on the barrel. There were a lot of inspection marks on the stock.

Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the buttplate.

Huffmanite

4v50gary. When a Springfield was re-arsenaled, a small dent was put on top of the edge that's along the right side of the receiver, near the chamber end. Own a 1903 made in 1914, yet it has a 1920 dated barrel on it and I have the dent in my receiver. Even an armorer in a combat would put such a dent in the receiver when he worked on some problem a rifle had. My 1920 date is on top of barrel, just behind the front sight.

Last edited: