Saw a 'like new' Colt 10mm Delta at Pawn Shop

Deaf Smith

Box, papers, spare mag... Not a scratch on it.

$900.

I have a match 40 S&W barrel sitting here at home just for a 5 inch 1911 (it came with my Colt 1911 .40 S&W which has the standard .40 barrel in it now.)

Now IF I can talk them down to $900, tax included, should I get it?

Deaf

Targa

If it is in that good of condition maybe. For the fun of it Budsgunshop has it for $1050, when I did a price match request they came down to $999.

m&p45acp10+1

That is $100 cheaper than one goes for around here with just the gun, and the mag in it. I saw one that $898 no magazines. Was told they have several Wilson Combat, or Chip McCormick mags to purchase at a discount if the gun were bought. I did not have enough on me at the time or I would have taken it home.

Sevens

Neat gun, attractive looking and a nod toward the
interesting history of the very cool 10mm cartridge. But as a 10mm pistol goes... it lacks a lot. The old school tiny grip safety digs in to my hand and the trigger is very average. Colt uses plastic parts in these pistols, which truly annoys me.

But the real dealbreaker is that they lack the case head support that is important for running full-spec 10mm ammo. I did not keep mine and won't go that way again.

Still, a nice looking pistol. Just not a serious contender for a great 10mm platform, IMO.

PolarFBear

Sevens

Great tip on the case head support. I have picked up an "itch" for a 10mm. I have seen several Colts here in my neck-of-the-woods. What gun has the safety of case head support?

Sevens

The Glock has evolved and does well, and better with easily snagged aftermarket barrels. The Dan Wessons are fine. Never had a problem with the Rock Island either, but it is not a refined pistol. The LONG out of production S&W 3rd Gens are fantastic in this regard. The more expensive Tanfoglio 10's (Elite Match and above) get decent reviews for durability.

Honestly...
I'm not sure that anyone makes a 10mm with worse case head support than the newest Colt Deltas.

RickB

Like-new made in 1987, or like-new made recently?

The DE has gone through three different configurations; the original, and those made circa 2010-2015 are classic Government Model with no "mod cons", the 1992-1996 guns in "enhanced" style with ducktail grip safety, undercut trigger guard, rowel hammer, and the new-in-2016 "XE" model with beavertail, extended safety, Novak sights, etc.

I personally prefer a blued, first-generation gun to all others, but those who think a beavertail is a necessity second only to a barrel, you'll want the new XE.

I've shot full-power handloads, reloaded and shot them again with no issue, but have seen reports of guns that can't, displaying distinct case bulging after one firing.
I consider it a non-issue in my gun, but if you want to shoot a steady diet of full-power loads, then a ramped barrel, or a non-ramped barrel with sufficient case head support, is a must-have.