Saw a Hi-Point carbine in action today...

Warm Bore

And now I'm thinking about getting one. Couldn't believe how fast these two guys were going through ammo. Not a single hiccup, jam, or malf. in about 500 rounds. I didn't catch what brand of ammo they were using. It was outfitted with a compensator, sling, laser, and BSA 40mm Red-Dot scope. The two were shooting at suspended coffee cans at a range of about 50 feet (close I know) switching between "laser mode" and "scope mode". But they were pelting these cans full of lead like it was going out of style with narry a miss. I was pretty damn impressed for such an UGLY gun.

I'm wondering how they would do with that Russian Wolf steel cased ammo. Would make one helluva cheap plinking gun.

WarmBore

Nukem

They're OK for what you pay for one. The reason I don't have one is the lack of a mag capable of holding over ten rounds. So I bought a 9mm AR upper instead. at 3 times the price ;) Both the Hi-Point and the 9mm ARs seem to digest the Wolf ammo.

Mordwyn.45

Warm Bore,
The only bad things that I have heard about Hi-Points is that they are a pain in the butt to clean. Otherwise they are a fun cheap weapon to have around. You get what you pay for.

duck hunt

How do you field strip the things? There is some kind of cover over the slide/bolt held in place by four hex-head bolts. Do you just unscrew these and pop off the cover?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
DON'T DISASSEMBLE HiPoint carbine

You won't get it back together.

The one I shot had a peep sight and was quite nice (I could hit an empty 30-06 yellow box at 25m easily). Low recoil, good sights, better than Marlin/Ruger carbines in that respect. Not sure about the durability.

Benjamin

Ya know....

Sorry to change the topic, but a good SKS won't run more than $30 more than a Hi-point, and the ammo is cheaper than 9mm.

No complaints about stripping or cleaning the SKS.

No complaints about SKS jamming when dirty.

And you get the bayonet, to finish the damn coffee can off with!

JBP

I got one when they first came out and found it to be extremely accurate (never had to scope it like I did my SKS), never had a misfeed, and a lot better in quality then their semi-auto pistols. Durability wise they could be better. After a few thousand rounds the bolt screw thread stripped and when I called Hi-Point to send me a new one they told me to send the carbine in. It took a few months but they completely rebuilt the carbine and sent me two new mags. After about five hundred rounds I had to double clutch the trigger in order to get it to fire. Back to the factory. Two weeks later and two more new mags it was returned to me. Traded it in towards a CZ75B and sold my extra mags over at Auction.com.

Andrew Bornman

Of course you can strip it. If someone put it together it can be taken apart and put together again.

Of course that attitude got me into trouble when I was 15 and I decided to take apart my marlin mod 60. I had spring propelled parts scattered about the dark corners of my parents basement. Two or three days later it was back in working condition doing better than ever thanks to a though cleaning and the assistance of my older brother.

[Edited by Andrew Bornman on 12-05-2000 at 12:54 PM]