Savage Varmint 12BVSS 308 accuracy

FRANK1669

Hello I did a search on this rifle and found very little info. I have 2 savage 99 lever guns both very accurate but they were made in the 20s has Savage maintained their quality? Are these shooting 1 inch or less at 300 yards? I am dead set on the 308 caliber only so if you have one or shot won let me know what kind of groups to exspect thanks

bobhwry

I have one in 22-250 and it's very accurate and I love the accu-trigger.For the price you won't find a more accurate rifle out of the box.Mine will shoot sub 1" groups all day.

shooter_john

I recently bought a 12FVSS .308 (same as what you mentioned with the Savage synthetic stock) and the first measured group after the break in was around 5/8" @ 100 yds, with my first set of handloads. I also have a 10FP in .223 and it is also a great rifle, I very highly recommend Savage rifles.

jhgreasemonkey

Ive got 2 savage 110's. The most recent is a 30-06 w/accu trigger. I love it. Very accurate and a great price. I will definitely buy another savage down the road.

Jim Watson

An inch or less at 300 yards is going to be tough shooting with any consumer grade rifle. Savage will do as well as any on the average, but if you want 1/3 MOA for sure, you need to be looking at purpose built target or sniper rifles for a lot more money.

The savage bolt gun should shoot sub-MOA pretty easily as is, but getting 0.3 MOA at 300 yards from any out-of-the-box factory rifle with a mass-produced barrel is expecting a lot (Jim Watson was posting while I was looking up records, so that is redundant but ageed with). If you put a custom barrel on it and work the loads up carefully for that gun and with weighed charges, then perhaps?

My 10FP in .308 was more like a 1 MOA gun new. I finally figured out the thermoplastic stock was too flexible and was rubbing up under the barrel when I use a sling or a bi-pod (the shiny spots on the underside of the barrel gave it away). I swiched to the Choate varmint stock and firelapped the barrel. Its first real test was an 800 yard exercise at Camp Perry during the first shooting session at the Long Range Firing School. It shot a 99-2X in that exercise in which the targets were left up for the whole string and no pulling and spotting was done. The idea was just to take your 10 and try to read the wind changes between rounds. All ten were on the right half of the 20 inch 10 ring (wind was from 3:00 and I overcompensated), and the 9 was almost a scratch 10 at 4:00. So this was about an 11" group; 1.3 MOA at 800 yards. The wind will be half of that width variation. It would have been the 175 grain Sierra MK over about 45 grains of Varget in Winchester cases. I haven't had it out since the school so I don't know what it's shooting at 100 or 300 now? Catching that information up was on my to-do list for this summer. but time is passing quickly.

Nick

tINY

I have the 12BVSS - I haven't had a lot of opportunity to shoot it off a bench with match loads.

I seems to do about an inch or better using hunting ammunition from prone in the gravel pit all day long. Should do cloverleaves with match ammo from a bench.

-tINY

Jim Watson

As it happens, I have a Savage 12BVSS-S .308. After Tubb firelapping and load selection, it is good for about 0.7" at 100 yards. But I was darned pleased to get one (1.0) six inch group at 600 yards in a flat calm. I can usually hold the 2 MOA conventional ten ring at various ranges if the wind does not surprise me - which it invariably does in a 20 shot match or even a 10 shot string - but I am going to be hurting when the new 1 minute F-class targets come in. I am not a big-time rifle shooter, though.