Savage Tactical

The Rock

Does anybody have any comments on this rifle? My local gunshop has one and I was thinking about picking it up and getting rid of the Savage 110 in .30-06 I have. I know it has a better trigger and a free-floated barrel, but is it worth the $400? I would put one of those $$$ Leupolds on it and a bipod and sling so it will probably end up being around a grand. Any thoughts appreciated.

TR

Spirex288

I've heard that Savage tactical models are very accurate for their price range. I almost purchased one but got an AR instead. Oh well.

John Overbey

They are a nice no-nonsense alternative to the Remington 700P and similar rifles. The barrels and action are fine. The trigger still isn't all that great, and I don't care fot the stock they chose to use (looks cheap). Overall though, for the money, it's a very nice rifle. If you want to make it a great rifle, factor in a good trigger job and a better stock, along with you leopold, bipod, and sling, and you're there. Does H-S Precision make stocks for Savage 110's? Either way, it's a better deal than the $800 for a Remington 700P. Might want to take a look at the 700VS though... exact same barreled action as the 700P - the only difference is the stock (and about $250 or so).
-John

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Rock,

Savage = GOOD VALUE, but you already OWN a Savage so you knew that. i'd suggest BURRIS mounts and tasco optics to keep your rifle in a reasonable cost range.

Then again your 110 30-06 should be able to drive tacks (mine does) .. why not "tac" it up instead?? ie composite stock, bipod, long range optics etc.

MANY varmint hunters started with a savage tactical or 112v.. they are really nice rifles. And those varmint hunters know how to shoot ;)

The Rock knows a good deal when he sees it,

Dr.Rob

Little Buck

I own a Savage 110 FLP in .223. It is one awesomely accurate rifle right out of the box. You will need to either adjust the trigger (a five minute task) or put an aftermarket model on it, depending upon how much of a bad trigger you can tolerate.
Mine shoots in the 5's with just about anything (although it does not like IMR 3031) and will put my sweetheart load in the 3's and 4's with regularity.
my 2 cents
LB

The Rock

I was thinking that I'd be streamling my battery a bit, and be able to use cheap mil-surplus ammo for blasting. That and the .30-06 really kills me on the bench. 20 rounds and my shoulder is sore for 2-3 days. I was hoping for less recoil as well. Maybe this is a false hope...

The Rock

Ldoll

Rock,

I wouldn't worry about the recoil from the savage tactical .308. I shot a 30.06 and hated the recoil to. I used to own a savage tactical in the .308 and could shoot 40 rounds through it at each session and it would not bother me at all. The savage tactical is a good gun for that price, if you can get around the ugly stock. That's why I got rid of mine. Winchster and remington heavy barreled guns cost a little more, but have better stocks.

Donny

Go for it! I have a Savage Tactical 10FP in .308, and it shoots like a baby. In fact, it's unofficially my Grandsons rifle now. He's 8yo, but looks like he's only 6(small kid). He can only bench shoot it now, but he has no trouble with light loads in it, 147 gr being the heaviest for him.

Wish I could have gotten the PSS that cheap! Anyway, it's a good gun, I'd recommend taking it home.

Best Regards,
Don

------------------
The enemy of my enemy, is my friend.

katana

I just purchased a Savage Tactical .308 after searching this board and a few others regarding the Savage. This rifle gets an unfair amount of flames for some reason. It's not a Remington 700 but I didn't want a Remington nor do many other happy Savage owners. If I wanted to actually try to shoot and hit something out to 600yds. then maybe I'd buy something costing twice as much. For the ranges I expect to shoot and expect to hit anything at the Savage more than meets my expectation.

I agree with most that the stock is not a thing of beauty but it works. The trigger is sold with a heavy pull but it is adjustable contrary to what most people say.
I have shot about 100 rounds thru the rifle so far and it is accurate and recoil is mild.
I mounted a decent Simmons scope on Weaver mounts and am not disappointed. I buy things of good value and the Savage Tactical is good value.

Sorry for being long winded but I hope this gives you some perspective on your future purchase. Good luck.

Katana