Savage Stevens 200 223

TRguy

Stevens 200 in 223

I bought a Stevens 200 in 223 back in February.

Started out like this

Stevens_200.jpg

Started to work on stiffening the barrel channel and filling some surface areas, spraying with primer and ultimately painting the stock....

Since then I did some trigger work took the action and barrel to him, he cut the barrel and re-crowned, mounted the scope mount and scope, bore sighted....

Now we get to take it to the range today and see how she shoots....

Worst day of shooting beats the best day at work.
Well here are some from the cell phone, sorry for the poor quality of pics. The Rifle looks great....groups were a little wide. Hopefully after some break in they tighten up. Chamber was a bit rough cause some bolt lock up but that too is loosening up. I am still loving the rifle.

IMAG0843.jpg

Trimmed two inches off the barrel and recrowned. I like the looks of the shorter barrel.

IMAG0845.jpg

IMAG0847.jpg

TRguy

Mine is the grey stock with mods

Bedded a piece of aluminum u-channel in the stock to stiffen it up, used a belt sander to fit the u-channel to the contour of the stock and allow for barrel free float, once u-channel was in I fixed it in place using JB weld, used an exacto knife to cut out the checkering, filled the checkering areas with epoxy filler, sanded and painted the stock.

Barrel is still free floated.

thumbnail.aspx

079340686175lg.jpg

043425826558xl.jpg

Its about 1/4 from the recoil lug. But the u channel allows for stiffening both on the horizontal and vertical axis. If you try it you will be amazed at the amount of stability you will get out of your stock

I used this to cut the channels for the u-channel

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=Multi-Max+MM40

r05160v3.jpg

taylorce1

Great job I did something very similar a few years back. I didn't stiffen the forend like you did but I did bed the recoil lug. I added a custom 20" 6x47 barrel that was lighter contour than the factory barrel, then I added a Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) recoil lug, tactical bolt knob, and Competition trigger. I like the tactical knobs offered by SSS and Stockade Gunstocks because they are longer than the Savage.