Savage (Scout) field dependability

thaddeus

After reading the "Win70 vs. Rem700" thread, this got me thinking about dependability.
The Savage Scout is made for close shooting and therefore, dependability of follow up shots are important concerning wounded game etc.
Now that I understand more about the difference between the actions/extractors on the Rem700 and the Win70, I am curious about how the Savage stack up.
What kind of action does it have? Is it very dependable in the field?

The Savage Scout looks perfect for what I need in a low price. It sounds accurate according to those that have shot them, so all that's left is whether it is dependable or not.
Provided that the Scout uses the same action as all their other rifles: how do dangerous game hunters feel about Savage rifles, since some seem to shy away from the Remington?

thanks,
thaddeus

Flashman

I sure hope this thread doesn't die. I am also very curious about this issue. Does anyone have comments on the Savage?

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
The issue isn't really the Savage vrs. other brands - it's "push feed" vrs. "controlled round feed".

Essentially, the CRF (ala Mauser) guides the round from the magazine to ejection by rolling the rim of the cartridge under the claw extractor. The push feed (Remington 700) simply pushes the round out of the magazine into the chamber and snaps the extractor over the rim when you reach full seating.

The feeling is that CRF prevents a couple of things - double feeding and extractor problems. Push feed proponents feel that proper bolt manipulation (bang it at both ends)does the same thing. Both have very valid points and it seems to me to be sort of an "angels on the head of a pin" argument.

That being said, my DGRs are CRF and I would rather have CRF than not.

YMMV !!

Giz

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Forgot to add - my Scout is a push feed Remington......

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Dorcas

Gizmo,
Could you explain alittle more about your scout? How did you mount the optics? did you use a ring from ashley outodoors or beast enterprises? who did the work? smiles, and finally what action did you use a 700 or a model 7? Thanks for the help, I've been playing with the idea of having one built for a couple years now. I just now have the money.

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...