Savage Rimfire?

gfen

I don't have a .22mag, but two Savage mk2 rifles in .22lr.

The FXP, which was the plastic stocked, thin barrell with package scope; I bought this probably 3 years ago.
The GVP, which was the wood stocked, heavy barrell with package scope; I bought this probably 3 weeks ago.

The plastic stock seems very short, and the whole thing is ultralight in my arms. I don't care for its feel, and the cheap 4x scope it came with it was junk. On the other hand, I think I paid $110 at Walmart. The trigger was stiff and hard, however that was easily fixed with some online instructions and a piece of brass shim. There are now aftermarket triggers for it. When my wife comes out with me, she'll shoot this one. It fits her well, and she likes the lightness.

The GVP feels good, and I think fits me better (which is odd, coz it looks like its the same length, but maybe the raised comb makes that much of a difference. The wood had some rough spots in it, but so it goes, and there are aftermarket stocks out there for the heavy barrelled versions. This comes with the built-in adjustable trigger they call Accu-Trigger, and while I haven't botehred to adjust it yet, it feels fantastically light and right in my hand, with little takeup and enough pressure that I know I'm pulling it. The scope is actually pretty nice, and now lives on top of the FXP.

Both of them are accurate, and priced right. I obviously was pleased enough with the first to buy the second. I don't have much need for a third .22lr bolt rifle, but if I were to lose one of these, I'd happily replace with another Savage.

Maximus856

I have a mk.II .22 and 93 .17hmr. Both IMO are excellent rifles. I havent had the chance to really play with the .17, but the .22 shoots sub moa once I get into my groove, and thats fitted with a simmons 3-9x40, on a bipod.

My only complaint with the .22 is it's pretty sensitive to ANY grime. My only complain with the .17 is that the magazine could be fitted a bit better in my opinion. It took some tweaking to get it to operate somewhat smoothly..

-Max.

maddog44

I have a mark II LV in .22LR. Once I filed the trigger sear about .050" (mine is pre accutrigger) I was very happy with it. Still am. Quite accurate with laminated stock, free float bull bbl. I recommend it.

treffle

savage rimfire

hello gentlemen ,the bolt lv like maddog said was a keeper and i;m sorry i traded for a remington repeater that savage bolt shot exxtremely well with any rimfire ammo any kind!my 13 year old has a lefty a boy this son of mine is very good with the open sights,puts me to shame,and he said dad i love my savage,my 2cents great 22 rifle left or right,should have kept mine:eek: tref

T. O'Heir

Had a Savage 65M long ago. Executed my very first ground hog with it. Traded it and cash for my .243.(Should have bought the real BAR from the guy too) Been kicking myself over both ever since. Except for the cost of the ammo.