Savage replacement stocks - who makes a good one?

Warm Bore

Just wondering if anyone makes a good replacement stock for the Savage Tactical. I like Savage actions and barrels but their stocks seem to be a bit flimsy.

Thanks

WB

Rob01

The write ups are in the forums area of Snipers Hide and usually listed as a Ghost Dancer project. There is also a Ghost Dancer section where they talk about building the rifle. There are also answer from Kelly McMillan on specific questions. Just do a search in the forums.

DC8-73

Found the info in the 'hide. Thanks. Gives me some motivation to drag the neglected Savage out. Got sidetracked with FAL stuff.
I have one of the early 110 FP's with the flimsy stock without bedding pillars. After free floating the barrel, the forearm had twist and flex, and would touch the barrel again depending on sling tension or forearm placement on rest. I notched out the forearm stiffening webs and layed a Chevy small block pushrod along the notched out areas. The voids between the webs were then filled to the top with JB Weld. The lug and receiver were previously bedded with SteelBed. The forearm can still be flexed, but only by using extreme force which will not be seen during normal shooting. Also, the forearm is not able to touch the barrel.
Was told about the pushrod idea by someone who saw it on a gunsmith video tape.
When bedding a 110FP, has anyone bedded the recv magazine area to the stock? I didn't. Just did the areas by the mouinting screw areas and also filled the voids in same areas.

Lefty

Re: Bedding a Savage rifle ...

FYI: On the home page @ www.snipershide.com has an article on glass-bedding the Savage rifles. It's pretty good ... I wrote it ;) ! On repeaters I do not recommend bedding the magazine area, stay with the two action bolt areas (with ot w/out pillars) and make sure you have clearance under and around the rear tang where the safety is.