Savage pillar bedding...

uncyboo

I've read several threads on pillar bedding for a Savage 10/110 and get the gist of most of it. My question is this:

I have a model 12 in 204 that I just got a Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole for. The stock appears to have cross pins in it and they look like they run fairly close to the action screws. Does anyone know what these are made of and do they interfere with 9/16" pillars? I would think not or my web searches would have picked it up, but wanted to ask before I started drilling. Have an email out to Boyd's but haven't got a response yet.

hoffbill

I do not know the answer, but I would go with whatever Boyd's suggests. I have the thumbhole on my Savage 111 in .270, just bolted it on, no bedding or fitting needed, except converting to blind mag and replacing the trigger guard with the wood model which as I recall is deeper and narrower.
Hunted deer and hogs with it all fall and dropped everyting I shot at. Put a bipod on this afternoon and shot a careful, patient group from prone. .562" at 100yd with Hornady SST 150gr.

tobnpr

Is the front cross pin right behind the recoil lug?
I was planning on getting one for my staggered-feed model 10, I can't find much else...

Are you going to bed the action as well, or just install pillars?

Only you can tell if the hole for the action screw is close enough to the cross pin to interfere with the pillar. If you're going to bed the action/recoil lug, you may need to cut it out of the way.

uncyboo

I was prepared to bed it when I ordered it if needed, and this one definitely will need it. When I torque down the rear screw it locks up the safety and trigger. The action sits too low in the stock. When everything is torqued down, it seems to put everything in a bind, and the edge of the action's ejection port is several thousandths lower than the wood. The pillars will bring it all up to proper height. That will also facilitate floating the tang.

Speaking of magazines, that brings up another question. the rifle came with the plastic stock and is a centerfeed. In the original stock there was a steel clip-like piece at the rear of the magazine box that looked like it locked the box into the stock. So when I swapped the stock I installed that clip also. Problem with that is that the clip sits directly under the rear action screw hole. So to install a pillar, do you open the slot in the clip to 9/16" to accomodate the pillar? Is the clip even needed? The mag box itself was a tight fit into it's recess?

tobnpr

I was less than happy with the one Boyd's I bought for my Mosin sporter.
Inletting was way offset, and not deep enough at the bottom metal. The receiver wouldn't mate up to the action.
Nothing half a day with a dremel didn't fix, but "95%", no way...

I would buy from them again, but with eyes wide open...

uncyboo

Is the front cross pin right behind the recoil lug?

Yes.

Are you going to bed the action as well, or just install pillars?

Yes I'm going to do a complete bedding job.

Only you can tell if the hole for the action screw is close enough to the cross pin to interfere with the pillar.

Only me? No one else here has pillar bedded a Savage 12 into a Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole? I just didn't want to start drilling and run a $60 cutter into a steel pin.

hoffbill

I remember having to scratch my head a minute to figure out how the clip fit in. I think is is necessary because it keeps the mag aligned so the bolt will go across with the correct clearance. Without it I think it might be able to shift enough to cause misfeed but as you stated it may depend on the fit of each individual gun and stock. Both of my Boyd's were great fits but I suppose rifles like the Mosin made in great numbers may have variations in them that would make stock fit an issue. Good luck and let us know what you find out about the cross pins. I will probably want to pillar and bed mine when I get time.

uncyboo

I think is is necessary because it keeps the mag aligned so the bolt will go across with the correct clearance. Without it I think it might be able to shift enough to cause misfeed

This makes perfect sense and i hadn't thought of that........

Fortunately this is a dedicated gopher gun and I've never loaded a round in the magazine. Every shot taken so far with this rifle has been hand fed. So if I can't figure out the mag thing I won't be too terribly butt hurt....

hoffbill

My memory just functioned for a few seconds:p The clip goes on the rear and the action screw goes through it. If you look carefully the stock is inletted around the hole so the clip seats into the stock. At least that's how I remember it.

uncyboo

Oh yes you have it right. I had no trouble installing the clip in the new stock. The issue is exactly how you described the placement of the clip....the rear action screw goes through the clip. So how do you employ the flat clip when you install a pillar, which is exactly contoured to fit the action?

uncyboo

This is the response from Boyd's.........

The pins are steel rivets, not sure if they will clear or not as we do not do the pillars so I have noting to base it on.

thank you

Boyds' Gunstock Customer Service
Retail Sales Division
www.boydsgunstocks.com

I appreciate the response and info but not terribly helpful. :D

hoffbill

So Uncyboo, is you stock going to be the test dummy?:D Only way I can figure that clip to work with pillar is to put it or a spacer in place between the pillar and action when bedding the pillar. In your case, of course, since you only single load the only purpose the mag serves is to lay the round on until you close the bolt so you would probably never know the difference.

uncyboo

Yeah I'll be the test dummy. Sometimes you gotta take one for the team.

I'll just go slow with the counterbore and if I run into the steel pin/rivet I'll figure it out from there.

The magazine is not a huge issue but you know us tinkerers, we like to have everything function properly.

CTS

I'd love to know how it turns out. I just this minute finished pillar bedding my M70 in .243 and I will probably be doing a Savage 10 for a buddy of mine. What do you use to punch the holes out to 9/16"? The kit recommended some 50 dollar piloted counter bore drill bit or plugging the holes with 5/16' dowel and and then drilling with a speed bore bit. I just took a 9/16" bit and went to town. Worked just fine. Well, I guess I'll know for sure tomorrow after it cures.

CTS

Nice. I went the cheap way out but, the kit I used has studs that actually attach the pillars to the barreled action and then t-handles to hold everything to gether while the bedding compound cures. this way you cant possible get the pillars out of proper alignment so the holes don't have to be perfect. It sounded interesting to me so I gave it a shot.

Attachments

• Deluxe_pillar_kits_with_CD.jpg
    Deluxe_pillar_kits_with_CD.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 64

uncyboo

Update...

Finally got this done and have answers to some of my own questions.

When borong out the 9/16" holes for the pillars yes I hit the steel cross pins, just barely grazed the side. No harm no foul.

I installed the pillars first, and had to notch the rear pillar to clear for the sear. Free floated the tang.

Once I got the pillars in and the action sitting at the right level in the stock I bedded everything from the recoil lug to the notch in the rear pillar. I stuck the magazine in and will test function when i shoot it.

Will shoot it today or tommorow and see what damage I did.