Savage Model 99: workable as a lefty?

Chuck Dye

Family and friends have been on the lookout for a left handed bolt action for my best friend's south-pawed ten year old. Dad has been keen on the .243 Win, I have touted the .257 Roberts, and various cousins, uncles, and friends have argued in favor of several other chamberings. It dawned on me that a Savage Model 99 in .243 Win should be great for a small shooter but I have been unable to determine whether the ejection angle would allow a left handed shooter to cycle the rifle without getting smacked in the face or shooting glasses.

How about it, 99 shooters, does anyone shoot theirs on the port side?

Last edited:
I've shot mine many times left handed with no problems.

Just to make sure, though, I'll try to remember to eject a couple of empty shells this evening with it on my left shoulder.

youp

If I routinely shot left handed, I would be sure to find a Savage Model 99 sporting a tang safety. I have a 99M that is and an E that is not. I think the C model also had tang safety.

heck yeah!
my grandpa and uncle are both left-handed and both hunt with 99s. My grandpa's is a .250 with the tang safety which i think makes it easier as a lefty. My uncle's is a 300. Doesn't have a tang safety, but he's never complained.

I think a 99 in .243 is darn near a perfect first deer rifle for ANYONE, right-or-left handed.